TN: 1953 Keller "Dalsheimer Hubacker“ Auslese

Last Friday I had some discussion with Rieslingkenner about the magic of aged Keller Riesling, as they opened a 2005 Kirchspiel GG and they found out that they should have given him more air. This reminded me on a legendary night at the estate Keller in 2008 with KP, David Rayer/MFW and my danish friends Morten, Carlo, Ulrich (?) etc. We all thought the 53er is 2-3-4 years old. BTW, the bottle never left the cellar in all these years. nectar of the gods

1953 Keller "Dalsheimer Hubacker“ Auslese

“Le Hubacker est connu pour produire des vins aux parfums plus exotiques et ouverts plus jeunes. L’occasion était donc unique de vérifier l’évolution de cette bouteille qui n’avait jamais quittée la cave du domaine. La robe est quasiment intacte, d’une belle brillance. Cet éclat se retrouve au premier nez, très pur et fin. Il se base sur la pêche blanche, l’abricot, la mandarine et une pointe de vanille. On retrouve la finesse en bouche, qui ne peut pas être confondu avec celle des schistes. Il n’y a pas l’acidité parfois ‘tranchant’, mais une extrême longueur aux parfums d’épices et de fruits. Il se rapproche plus d’une expression bourguignonne par la finesse (sans le bois et l’oxydation ménagée) que d’une expression mosellane. C’est une grande émotion pour tous!” David Rayer/Mosel Fine Wines

“Hubacker is known to produce wines with more exotic flavors and younger openness. The opportunity was therefore unique to check the evolution of this bottle which had never left the estate’s cellar. The dress is almost intact, with a beautiful shine. This radiance is found on the first nose, very pure and fine. It is based on white peach, apricot, mandarin and a hint of vanilla. We find the finesse in the mouth, which cannot be confused with that of the shale. There is not the sometimes ‘sharp’ acidity, but an extreme length with flavors of spices and fruits. It is closer to a Burgundian expression in finesse (without the wood and mild oxidation) than a Moselle expression. It is a great emotion for all!” (Google translation)

IMG_0136.JPG
KP

IMG_0137.JPG
what a young greenish colour

IMG_0138.JPG

4 Likes

Wow. I saw the thread title and assumed it was a typo!

Fantastic note. The color is unbelievable. Is ‘53 considered a strong vintage in the Mosel?

Wow. The colour… Just wow!

The color on that wine is crazy…I’ve never seen a while that old look that young. It makes me wonder if the wine looked like water when it was made back in the 50’s. Wow…very cool. Thanks for sharing

1953 is a great vintage at Mosel and Germany in general.

amazing

I have had many older German Rieslings either direct from the domain or from great storage that have been stunning. Going back to the early 1900s. Color is absolutely a key indicator. Two bottles this year showed that a 59 Egon Muller Auslese brought to a dinner direct from the domain by Mr. Muller looked like a very young wine and it was stunning. A 71 Lauer Ayler Kupp Kabinett from a German cellar had a shockingly clear color and it to was great.

That color looks unreal.

That’s nuts

„Hallelujah, what a memory. I still remember it all these years ago. The color was unbelievable!“

a quote from Carlo yesterday night, who also attended this dinner at the estate Keller

We also enjoyed this incredibly wine chez Hr Hansen with KP no?

Quelle surprise. Did we??? Sorry, I can’t remember.