Bird & The Bottle - wine list help needed

I am traveling with my new boss and some other senior team members in California this week, and tomorrow we are taking out clients in Santa Rosa. The venue is Bird & The Bottle. I am likely to be told to choose the wine, but I am completely out of my comfort zone with these mostly local names. It’s not an extensive or showpiece list, so I’m sure I could muddle through, however some help would be greatly appreciated! A red and a white. Thanks!

https://www.birdandthebottle.com/

That’s quite limited.

Personally I would do the Bründlmayer and the Failla, but I suspect you are better off with at least getting the Hanzell Chardonnay.

1 Like

hanzell chard, occidental pinot.

3 Likes

what they said

If you have the time, stop in at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa. Literally a warehouse of fine wine from anywhere in the world, Italian, French Champagne etc etc. Buy whatever and BYO. Corkage everywhere is reasonable.

If you can’t, the suggestions above are about as good as you can do.

Tom

1 Like

Sadly, I can’t. We’ll barely make it in time for dinner.

I agree with D@vid B. I’d go with the BRUNDLMAYER & FAILLA if it must be a white & red. Having said that, I’d suggest a sparkling & red rather than a white & red. I just recently had the SCHRAMSBERG BdB and was really quite pleased with the quality of the wine.

Gin and Tonic : )

I asked for a white and a red because I know what to get if they want sparkling. :wink: But they won’t. Non wine people generally don’t want to drink sparkling with a meal. It’s just for celebrating.

This ^. Enjoy. We had an excellent meal there last year!

1 Like

They sometimes have a small reserve selection too, also local names like Dehlinger, Williams Selyem, etc. So you may find more options (albeit more expensive) when you get there.

The Flowers rosé is good if that is an option. And the Schramsberg BdB, for the price. Otherwise I’d agree with David on the Brundlmayer/Failla combo.

Make sure it’s Californian. Don’t want to upset the clients.

What Tom said. That list screams corkage. If you want something higher end ask them to let you in the vault. They have some nice options in there.

1 Like

Having been in this situation, I would be honest and say I have no knowledge of California wines.

When your tastes are opposite the groups, knowing the wines doesn’t help. You need to know what they like. And if the love California wines, what they like is what I wouldn’t like.

However you’ve gotten knowledgeable suggestions, let us know if you personally liked what you ordered.

It doesn’t help that budget is very limited for this kind of client. It doesn’t matter what I like, anyway, as I have to drive afterwards! Maybe that’s a good thing.

I’d go with the Brudlmayer and the Petite Sirah. P.S. gets my vote because P.S. is one of very few grapes where even a random example tends to be something I find at least acceptable.

Another vote for Hanzell and Occidental.

Although I don’t buy them myself, Occidental Pinot Boir are amongst the very best in California. Way way better than the wines released under Kistler’s eponymous label. The mark up seems quite low on that one.

This. Maybe give the Flowers rose a whirl.

Thanks all! We lucked out and made it to town early, so stopped at Bottle Barn. Great suggestion!

Man…that food screams bubbles and Zin! I’d do Schramsberg BdB and Novy Zin! Bonus points you can give them a little knowledge on the Méthode champenoise!!!

champagne.gif