TNs: Napa Cab Saturday

A generous friend and Napa Cab enthusiast had us over and we opened some bottles:

• 2018 Realm Cellars The Bard - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/15/2022)
    Decanted for an hour. Pours a deep inky red. Dark fruits, blackberry, blueberry along with cedar, spice and dark chocolate. The elements are there on the palate, already working well together. Smooth, luxurious finish, finely grated tannins. So open and smooth for a 2018. Great bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2013 he-li-an-thus - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/15/2022)
    Expressive nose of strawberry, blueberry and cocoa/mint. This tastes very primary to me, with the fruit and other elements still integrating. Some drying tannins on the finish. I would say this needs more time in the bottle or a longer decant. Interesting contrast with the '18 Bard, which was much more open but the younger wine.

2004 O’Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Premiere Napa Valley - Too caught up in conversation to take notes, which I regret. But I wasn’t mad at this bottle at all.

• 2005 Vice Versa Cabernet Sauvignon “VICE” To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (5/15/2022)
    Deep red hues. Nice funk on the nose, leather and dark berries. Really expressive aromas. Full-bodied harmony on the palate. So many elements working together, and a long lingering finish. Wonderful wine. Losing steam a couple of hours after the initial pour. Can’t imagine this getting better, there is a lot of joy in this bottle.

1 Like

Didn’t realize VV existed back in 05. Who made that? Any idea? Sounds wonderful from the note. Love their current wines.

Just checked the website, it’s possible it was Paul Hobbs, but I don’t know for sure. This and the Realm were the standouts for me.