TN: 2000 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo)

Indulge me for a second. My daughter graduate from UGA Friday night. When you graduate Magna Cum Laude with a double major you get to open birth-year vintage Emidio Pepe. Love the wines. Love my kid. Cheers.

• 2000 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (5/15/2022)
    Drinking beautifully right now. Nose shows cozy earth tones, meat, wild herbs. Man, there are roses and spring gardens. Lovely. So weightless on the palate, but still such a palate impression of wiry red fruit, rhubarb, thyme, plum. There are hints of barnyardy funk and earth…yet, the wine is so incredibly fresh…like you just picked the fruit. The salinity and lively acidity belie the wine’s age. Pepe wines are special. Maybe not for everyone, that’s good. More for me. [cheers.gif]
    Posted from CellarTracker
12 Likes

Congrats to the wine…and the kid! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Dennis, nice note as always. As much as I like Pepe’s wines it’s background noise compared to you’re daughters accomplishments. Congrats, must take after her Mom! [wink.gif] champagne.gif

Tom

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Lolz. You know it! Thanks, Tom [cheers.gif]

Dennis, did she like the wine? My youngest, who is a couple years older than your daughter (1998) is still at this point primarily a white or rose’ drinker.

Which means that right now, if I pull the cork on one of the mags of Monfortino or Giacosa Asili that I bought for her, I will have to drink it solo [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Congrats with your daughter. The few Emidio Pepe i have tasted has been so interesting!

Just bought a 2016 Chave Hermitage for my oldest kid. I will give him the choice of drinking it or selling it when he turns 18, so guess we are selling it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ha! Same here. My daughter is not a big drinker. Of anything, really, which is cool. She liked it from an educational standpoint, but it was mostly my wife and I that end up finishing her birth-year bottles. [cheers.gif]

Thanks! If my daughter knew what this 00 Pepe sells for now, she’d also be a seller!

This is exactly why I loaded up on the 2020 vintage of this!!

1 Like

An outstanding wine to celebrate a truly joyous occasion. champagne.gif Pepe did a great job in 2000. My 22 year-old only drinks Champagne and Brunello - go figure!

1 Like

Congratulations Dennis. You should be very proud of your daughter.

I have only had a couple of bottles of Pepe (not easy to find). First one was at a restaurant/wine bar in Rome called Cul du Sac. Very much liked them, but they were young. Would love to try a mature version.

1 Like

Thanks, Howard!

Pepe makes lovely wines, and they have really become a favorite for me over the past few years. The older bottles I’ve had with 20+ years have been remarkable in that they show the tertiary elements of well-aged wine, while remaining incredibly fresh. Really special.

1 Like

Nice. Congrats! Always good when birth-year wines work out.

1 Like

A friend who had lived in Rome in the 2000s has a case of the 2002. He graciously shared a bottle a year ago. It was a revelation! I’d had a couple of much younger Pepes before that, but this was on a different level.

2 Likes

Good to know! I have several 2002s I’ve yet to try one. [cheers.gif]

Generally a lousy vintage in much of Italy, but this was superb.

1 Like

Congrats, Dennis! What a great occasion. These days I appreciate family more and more.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Thanks, Doug! [cheers.gif]

Having enjoyed virtually every vintage of most of his wines many times and held many tastings of his wines where we had quite a few bottles side by side, an interesting pattern emerged for many of us for the Montepulcianos. The ‘5’ vintages were the ones we enjoyed the most. The 65,75,85 and 95 were all spectacular. 83 is a great wine as well. They were not so hard to find when I was drinking them. Hard to believe he’s retired now. Time flies too quickly.

1 Like

Wow. Lucky you! That’s quite the lineup and you’ve had many it seems. [cheers.gif]
Oldest I’ve had was the '98 last year (thanks, Klafter!) and it was pretty awesome. Not unlike the 2000 in its evolution at this point. Going back much further expensive these days!