1982 Riesling

Hi
I am really quite ignorant of German wines, but I have recently acquired, from a deceased friend, some 48 bottles of Ayler Kupp Riesling Kabinett 1982.

I wondered if any of you wise men could advise: a) is it drinkable, or what the likelihood? b) what is the wine suitable for (I assume dessert?); c) How can I best store? d) Is the wine of interest to any collector?

I rather fear many of the bottles may be spoilt as corks do not appear robust on many of the bottles. I find to awesome to have these 30+ year old bottles, but am at a loss what to do. Is it simply a matter of storing on side, chilling and opening bottle after bottle until one does not taste musty? Thank you so much.

It is an average vintage or maybe even worse?! Unfortunately for you, at this time climate change didn’t exist, so there was heavy rain during harvest, especially october. Maybe you have luck, as they maybe harvested this Kabi before the rain started. Quite likely so, I guess.

Best suitable for asian food.

Where are you located?

I am based in Brighton, England!

Thank you, Martin, for the input. I believe the grower is well regarded. Is it meant to be sweet or else should it be clear or else golden? The bottles look superb, faded and with dust. One cork popped and I threw away, wine was below shoulder level. rest look ok. Really don’t know whether to throw or try…

I don’t think this Kabi will be sweet like after release, certainly more or less dry due to the aging . Which makes him also a good partner with veggie dishes.

Open a bottle! I am curious……

BTW, we are not talking about 1982 Ch. Margaux, so the value of this Kabinett is very very little.

Anthony,

To answer your original questions:

a) It should be drinkable. To what degree will depend on producer and how the wine was stored during these years
b) Kabinett is a slightly sweet to off-dry style of Riesling. Not quite desert wine. And with age, some of that sweetness mellows out. It’s pretty flexible in terms of pairings.
c) Storing them in a cool, dark place is ideal.
d) Depends on the collector, which producer made the wine, and the provenance of the wine, there could certainly be some interest.

Re: colour- with this amount of age to the wine the colour will likely be a bit golden or darker.

Certainly open one up, give it a try and let us know how you find it.

1 Like

Thank you, Rodrigo, I shall open one tonight and find out what mystery lurks…

1 Like

Coincidental I bought 12 bottles of Wiltinger Kupp Kabinett Trocken (because I love the Riesling from 1983 I have drunk )
I know 1983 is superior to 1982 in Mosel and Nahe (and Margaux)
And until now all bottles have been glorious
20220505_175316.jpg

My friend,

1983 is a different kind of animal. 1983 JJ Prüm WS Auslese is a legend.

4F596CFC-E06B-4B06-A030-9D082628C3D8.jpeg

1 Like

I know. Hope to see you soon

1 Like

This is not a dessert wine, certainly after all of these years. It may be drinkable/enjoyable, but if you haven’t had mature Riesling it probably won’t be what you’re expecting. Also, I’ve had a fair amount of older Riesling that have tasted weird/off at first but improved with air, so give it 30 minutes or so even if it doesn’t show well at first.

I personally wouldn’t hold my breath on enjoying these, but I would be excited to try them and see how they are. Even if you don’t like these, don’t get discouraged about mature, quality Riesling. The Rieslings I’ve had fairly recently from 1983, for example, are outstanding.

I am obsessed with Kabinett Trocken, I would love to try one of those! Or if you are selling any I would probably pay you a stupid price : ) The older Beckers are outstanding.

I also am fond of mature Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese Trocken
I have quite a few Bischhofliches Priesterseminar
Also others. The best I have had are from Grünhäus and Karthaüserhof.
Great treasures

Robert,

to visit Claus in Copenhagen is worth a trip, as he has stunning aged Rieslings. AND he is a great host.

Skol,
Martin

1 Like

Well I am in Copenhagen at least once a year! Hint. Hint.

I’ve had some very good 1982’s. Do you know the producer name? Very fine vineyard. Probably just off dry now.

If it’s been stored in a cool English cellar since release there should be some great bottles. But as with any 40 year old wine, even in a homogenous lot you’re going to still have (maybe) some corked bottles, some non-specific ‘off’ bottles, and some oxidized bottles. I hope there is more good than bad, and to the victor enjoy the spoils!

I still have a few Balthasar Ress from '82 & '83. Berg Rottland spats. Silly values when I bought them in 2008 as a late release.
They used so much sulfur at bottling, I can’t imagine they’re oxidised, unless the cork is junk. Wouldn’t be surprised if they leaked however. These seem bullet-proof.

To the OP- one important thing when you open the bottle- give it several hours When first opened, a mature old Riesling- even a great one from a great year- can seem like a glass of earthy apply juice. The only way to really test your bottle to the max is to either decant and revisit it every half hour or so for at least 4 hours. Or you can double decant and then let it air tasting every hour or two.

It took me many years to learn this, and I shudder to look back on all the potentially great bottles I gave up on too soon in my early tasting days.

A few years ago, someone gave me a low-shoulder equivalent leaky bottle of 1974 Dr. Burklin Wolf Kabinett. I do not recall the vineyard. After a few hours the wine was quite interesting- very drinkable if a bit tired. That was a hideous vintage and yet it came out at least interesting- but only after some patience.

1 Like