TN: 2011 Bucerchiale 2013 Montegrossi San Marcellino

2011 Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti Rùfina Riserva Bucerchiale - fairly dark colour, with a nose of dark cherry, hints of anise and a shading of sandalwood (as opposed to the more common cedar, which has less spice to it). Has an earthiness but well balanced by fruit. Good length and soft tannin. Ready to drink but should hold for some years (I am still drinking earlier, if bigger vintages like 1995s).

2013 Rocca di Montegrossi Chianti Classico Gran Selezione San Marcellino - this hard to find Chianti eclipsed the very good Selvapiana. It was even darker, with rich ripe fruit - mostly black cherry like the pervious wine, but a tad more earthiness and a forest floor/mushroom element, and a pleasant herbaceous note that developed with time in the glass (I had predecanted the Selvapiana at home but this one was popped at the restaurant). Rich fruit and more tannins than the other wine, this one seems to be just entering prime drinking territory. Excellent.

Both worked with what I had - vitello tonnato and osso buco with saffron risotto.

1 Like