NEW TEST FORUM IS POSTED - ready for you to play around...

Ok, several of us have been setting up and tweaking the Discourse forum today and we are ready for some beta testing.

Now, IMPORTANT for you all to understand - give it some time! Play around a little bit! It took me a couple hours to get used to it, and I have my own feedback on it, but suffice it to say I absolutely love it and I personally think it a massive upgrade to what we have here. Functionality is all the same, but much better.

There is an FAQ page that will answer a lot of the basic questions, and please post your feedback, questions, etc in the Site Feedback forum. I did not import any threads from here as this is just a TEST run - post all kinds of things, wine, random stuff, even politics - see how it works.

You will need to register, so you can either do it yourself or with one of various sign-ins you already have (Apple, Google, Facebook, etc). This is only temporary, nothing will be retained from this test forum but the settings, if we are all settled with them, should we move to a live system in the future.

Now go.

https://wineberserkers.trydiscourse.com

1 Like

Stylish yet unreadable.

I see a lot of approving of temporary users in your next 48 hours lol

Youā€™d think. But youā€™re only the third person!

Register and play around. Users can mess around with the visual A LOT on discourse. You can change the theme, text size etc in your account preferences interface. itā€™s not a one size fit all option. Itā€™s very customizable.

Honestly I am not interested in messing around with it. Simple. I prefer simple.

1 Like

Good because the standard white space makes my eyes bleed
Capture.PNG

Should we / must we register with the same user name as here?

That looks abnormal. Can you register and post in site suggestions your monitor and resolution?

Doesnā€™t matter. Itā€™s just a test forum.

Brett Favre just registered.

I can vouch for him. LOL

This is what I get, 24" monitor 1920 x 1129 This is more what is expected?
No eye bleed but some wasted space maybe. Future comments will be on the site, and after Ive played around some.
screen 1.png

Donā€™t open any images he DMs you

1 Like

Hi Richard

Thatā€™s more normal for a full screen view. I have the set up as you.

If you make the window to 70% size (or in my case I use half my screen) thereā€™s no white space.

Another choice is we put in a compact theme in settings that also eliminates white space (it is in the FAQ. Easy set up change)

The important thing is to give people choices.

Probably not something you have a lot of control over, but just FYI, the confirmation email went to the spam folder for me.

1 Like

Overall I donā€™t mind it.
But it is the text coloring that is a bit off to me.

Black text on wite works well for headings but not so much for walls of (normal) text. I would switch around the color you use for names (adjust it a bit) and normal text. It becomes less hard for your eyes. It works for Google and Wikipedia so it is rather proven i guess :slightly_smiling_face:.

We are doing some experimenting right now re- subtle color changes.

1 Like

I might be in the heavy minority but I really donā€™t see the need to change to this format.

The way this board is laid out is, in many ways, perfect. If William Gladstone can figure it outā€¦and I mean that with all the respect in the worldā€¦it must be quite intuitive to all levels of tech intelligence.

If we switch, we might lose a lot of our ā€œold dogsā€ to new tricks. Plus thereā€™s a charm to this boardā€¦the other one seems kinda sterile.

But Iā€™ll follow into the breach with whatever is chosen. Onward!

Iā€™m the opposite - I canā€™t handle white text on black background. Easily switchable in your ā€˜preferencesā€™ - there are a bunch of themes and text sizes you can choose from