TN: 2001 Luis Pato Vinho Regional Beiras Vinha Barrio

• 2001 Luis Pato Vinho Regional Beiras Vinha Barrio - Portugal, Beiras, Vinho Regional Beiras (4/24/2022)
    This bottle hits all my spots. Old vines Baga, if I am not mistaken. Lovely raspberry florals,; on the palate echoes of Barolo come in: tar, but also something like cocoa. The midpalate is relatively dense and tannins are not yet fully resolved, so one could definitely hold. Air is your friend here. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Nice wine. I opened a Vinha Moinho several months ago and it was terrific.

Thanks, Eric. I always remember how helpful you were when I was travelling to Lisbon and you made recommendations about wine bars there. I say to folks if I was younger and I was starting to collect now, I would collect Portuguese wines. So varied, generally so good, and such great QPR.

Cheers,
Josh

I’m older and I’m collecting Portuguese wines! flirtysmile

A friend brought a 2000 Vinha Moinho last week which was quite boring. Ripe, extracted but just monolithic. As I recall from a visit in 2007, Filipa Pato said that 1995, 2001 and 2005 were the vintages to age from that period.

I still have a 2001 Vigna Pan, which showed extremely well over many years. Probably time to drink it up, though.

I also have a '96 Quinta do Ribeirinho - Pe Franco in magnum!

Yeah, 2001 and 2005 were great. I’ve heard 2017 will also be good.

Sounds great, I grabbed this very one from flatiron a few months back…will have to open soon!

Funny footnote: A few years back, I invited someone to my brown-bag group, where everyone brings a bottle in a bag and we taste blindly.

The guest strode into my kitchen beaming. “I’m really going to stump people,” he boasted. “No one will know this wine.”

Then he glanced up at a line of empty bottles above my counter and his grin faded. “I can’t believe it – you have this bottle up there.”

It was the 01 Vigna Pan.