What Large Format Did You Open Recently?

We have been opening more magnums recently as we have had larger groups of family and friends visiting. They make my job as the host a lot easier and I think people also enjoy being able to spend more time with a wine than they otherwise would have with a 750. The picture shows the magnums we have enjoyed over the past 6 months, mostly Champagnes but some reds too. The Deutz and the Saffredi were opened a couple of weeks ago for a group of 6. As for bigger bottles, I have not opened one since 2018 and I am not sure when I will open one again. Magnums are the most practical large format.
IMG_0270.jpeg

Had a mag of 02 ruinart and krug nv c. 15 years post release on Tuesday. Both clearly showed the superiority of champagnes in magnum. How was that 09 cuvee willy?

1998 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Mag - would never have guessed 20 plus years, similar in taste to the best of the 2011 cabs, very enjoyable

The last mags we opened were 08 Dom and Krug 164

1 Like

08 DP for me as well.

14 Raveneau Petit Chablis, perfect for a group slurping oysters and watching the Masters last Sunday.

Opened a Saxum JBV 2010 and a Faiveley Clos des Corton 2006. Staring at a 6L of Faiveley Clos des Corton 1996 wondering if it has finally turned a corner…risky proposition to open it.

can’t imagine it’s ready even out of 750.

Should make this post a sticky.

Mag of Roederer Collection 241, which seemed too young and not particularly interesting

Great thread - I have a few magnums on deck for a lunch party today. Will report back!

I think it would be interesting to share, as some already have, not only the wine and how it showed, but what kind of group you shared with and how the format worked or didn’t work.

Last mag was 2014 Bereche Le Cran opened for a friend’s birthday at Hometown BBQ. Very good, though probably a touch too young. Before that, a mag of 1998 Levet opened for a post-Paulee lunch, which drank a bit young too. :slight_smile:

That is a great idea Sarah since large formats are more often than not opened for a special occasion.

Getting together with family tomorrow for Easter and while they don’t usually drink Champagne, they turn into fishes when I bring it so magnums are best. I think I will open an '06 Comtes.

Last night reminded me that I need to buy some more everyday magnums. We had a bunch of people over, but none of them were particularly wine folks. Our larger gatherings are typically that way. They’re perfect occasions for bigger bottles, but I’m less likely to open something rare or pricey. I need a lot more mags of lower-level NV Champagne in particular.

I’m on the other side of this topic. I sold all of mine off, as I needed the storage space and I also just didn’t see the opportunities to get the bottles open in front of large enough groups to make it work. The last one I opened before I sold everything was a mag of 09 Cristal. We had 10 people over and it seemed like a great bottle to celebrate a close friend’s birthday around the table (amongst other wines too, but in 750s).

I doubt it will ever actually happen, but this would make a great blind tasting challenge. Same Champagne from regular and large format, can you tell the difference blind?

Would you be willing to bet money on your ability to tell them blind?

I’m not expressing an opinion — I’m not sure I’ve ever even had Champagne from a large format bottle before — it just seems like an interesting thing to test.

I’m opening a double mag of the 2010 Sojourn Ridgetop Pinot Noir on my wife’s big birthday (70).

dh

Jancis directed a tasting at 67 pall mall a few years back where there were bottles, mags and even double mags of the same champagne served. They weren’t served blind but the differences were very clear. Surprisingly, the mags didn’t necessarily show younger but they consistently had greater depth and roundness to them.

Just opened up a Jean Vesselle Brut Rose de Saignee Magnum.

While still one of my favorite grower champagnes, this bottle didn’t match the memories I had of the bottles disgorged in 2019 and earlier. Fruit was a lot less apparent and it was drier than I remembered. Might like the Cuvee Friandise more right now.