TN: 2020 Marcel Lapierre Morgon N (Sans Soufre) (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

• 2020 Marcel Lapierre Morgon N (Sans Soufre) - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (4/12/2022)
    My first time with the sans soufre…the fruit is flat out GORGEOUS…fresh crushed raspberries and cherries…more candied and creamy than the tart pucker I’m use to with other young vintages of Lapierre Morgons…but in no way is this over ripe or flabby at all! More of a silky smooth young bottle of Pinot Noir…silky with finesse…there is plenty of bright cherry skin citrus nerve in this Gamay…wonderful florals, wild herbs, and dried citrus spices…smoked cherry wood…crushed granite and red licorice give a nice salinity…VERY silky and harmonious…reminds me of how great a toasted mult grained piece of bread, spread with creamy butter and raspberry jam together tastes…MMmmmmm! It’s beautiful! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Is this the one K&L has (the N)? I couldn’t tell from their listing.

This is the “N”…Kermit Lynch import, bought from Envoyer.

Now we are talking. Welcome to the Club. We may have just caused a run in this special Cuvee. I should keep my mouth shut but I love y’all too much!!

1 Like

Sooooooo good, year after year. Picked up at Roscioli in Rome, drinking with some charcuterie from Florence… in our hotel room in Milan. So bougie, I get it, but it’s a great pop and pour bottle.
D506AAEC-22AD-4993-9919-6CB8769D4891.jpeg

1 Like

Pop’d one over the weekend… great wine to siop with bbq. Love the fruit expression

what does the “Triple A” refer to?

Other site →

In the beginning I mentioned certifying institutions of natural wines. One of them is Tripe A. A number of producers of this style of wine created in Italy an association designed to safeguard their winemaking interests. They called this association Triple A. This partnership encompasses today wineries in Germany, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia, Spain, France, Georgia and Greece, as well as Italy.

Triple A is more a movement that an association and its name refer to the three As representing his philosophy: Agriculture, Artisans and Artists. This movement originated as opposition to the increasing standardization of wine elaboration that can be seen today in WineWorld. Increasingly, techniques used in the vineyard and in the cellar, such as synthetic products and active dry yeasts, tend to eliminate the expression of the footprint and character of the vineyard in addition to the personality of the winegrower.

“A” as in Agriculture referring to the proper relationship between the individual and the vineyard, to get healthy and mature grapes with a natural agronomic intervention, without pesticides, chemicals or added treatments external to wine grapes.

“A” as in Artisans referring to the ability to act on a viticultural and enological process that does not modify the structure of the grape and wine.

“A” as in Artists referring to the artistic sensibility of winemakers upon their own work and ideas, which gives life to a wine reflecting the terroir where it comes from.

In 2003 Luca Gargano created the manifesto representing this group. A Triple A wine comes from as little interventionist winemaking as possible. A manual preparation of the future vine should be made by massal selection, without use of chemical substances. The life cycle of the grape must be respected to obtain its physiological maturation so it becomes completely healthy. Sulfites can be used in minimum quantities only at the time of bottling. Yeasts have to be indigenous and during fermentation process, wine levels such as acidity or sugar cannot be corrected. Nor will the wine be clarified or filtered before bottling it.

We may think that these producers work on their wines hidden in a dark garage, away from prying eyes, but if we pause a bit and look at who are the members of this movement we will see that far from this prejudice there are big and important producers in the mentioned countries. Just to mention few of them, in Italy we have Arianna Occhipinti in Sicily, Denis Muntanar in Friuli, La Stoppa in Emilia-Romagna, Emidio Pepe in Abruzzo and Carlo Viglione in Barolo. In Slovenia we have Cotar and Movia. Pierre Overnoy (Jura), Château Le Puy (Bordeaux) and Huet (Loire) are some of the wineries in France. Giorgio Clai in Croatia, Chateau Musar in Lebanon, Our Wine, Zurab Topuridze and Iago Birarishvili in Georgia, Immich-Batterieberg in Germany, Weninger and Wimmer-Czemy in Austria and Barranco Oscuro and Esencia Rural in Spain.

2 Likes

Amazing wine. I gave it 95pts.

All the hypes about the N version unfortunately I could not get it here. Could anyone tell me how does the S compare? Is it really a big quality gap or just barely noticeable? To put it more visual, say if the OP rated the 94 points, is the S just one or two points lower or more than 3?

Federico:
Depends on who you ask and critically, which bottle it is that you taste. It’s really the same wine, just some added sulfur at bottling for one and not the other (I believe). So how well the N bottle was handled once it left the cellar matters.

Sometimes professional reviewers note almost no difference at the time of review. Sometimes they note only a small difference. Then you have people claiming the N is way better. All I can tell you is that after a mixed case of the 2016 over the last 5 years, I get the N bottling where possible, but never thought the difference is 2 points. Never had them side by side, so hard to say, but it’s certainly not keeping me up at night. :slight_smile:

You might take a read at this marketing blurb from Crush Wine as well:

Same here. Only get the S version in AZ (which is still a great wine). Would love to compare it to the N

that’s unique! i just drank the same wine this weekend and didn’t see a Triple A logo on the back label. [cheers.gif]

So bumping this up for a quick question.

The only way to know if it is the ‘Sans Soufre’ version is the N (without sulphur) or S (with sulphur) in the lower corner of the label at the back right?

Correct.

Thanks!

Anyone tried the 2021 vintage already? Just released I think.

Finally had a chance to try this wine, as I purchased 6 bottles and had them delivered yesterday. I do see the hype - this is clearly superior to any other Beaujolais I’ve had - it has great depth particularly in the mid-palate where I find most boo-juice to be quite hollow, and where I lose interest. Less ‘cranberry juice’ on the fruit profile and more Burgundy-esque cherries and strawberries. Buzz likes just about everything, but he’s correct on the texture, which is also a significant jump in quality over most Beaujolais.

Pricey at/around $39, but superior to most red Burgs you can probably get at that price.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the 2022 yet?