TN 2011 Rochioli Sweetwater Vineyard Pinot Noir

I think Pinot Noir like this isn’t trendy anymore among the “cool kids”. We’re all supposed to like Burgundy these days. This is unabashedly New World Pinot, and, honestly, I think it’s great. It’s well made and is straight up delicious. I love the Burgundy style as much as the next person, but there will always be room for this type of wine in my book.

Quite young looking in the glass- just a touch deeper in color than your typical Burgundy. The aromas are concentrated, powerful, perfumey. It’s not overpowering, but it is the sort of wine that you can smell in the next room as soon as the cork is popped. Fruits are red and ripe, a bit candied, ripe cherries along with grenadine syrup, classic cherry cola aromas. Not much earthiness. In the mouth, tannins are very smooth, acidity is medium, tastes fresh and not at all tired. Fruits are exuberant and super lively. Again, there is that classic cherry cola flavor of the Russian River Valley. Nice sweet pleasant finish of medium length.

I first became a wine nerd on a trip years ago to the Russian River Valley- tasting my way through many of the wineries in Sebastopol, Guereneville, Healdsburg. I visited the area three times in three years, and haven’t been back since. These trips have many wonderful memories for me, and the aromas/flavors of these wines can be so transportive; they will always be special to me. For whatever reason, the Sonoma Coast Chardonnays tend to recall those times more than the Pinots, but this one really does hit the spot. One whiff of the glass and I’m back in a tasting room on the Sonoma coast, watching the fog roll through the vines. Not everyone is a fan of this style of wine, I get that, and even fewer will have the sense-memories that this evokes, but for me, it’s perfect. Is this a useful tasting note? Probably just for me.

4 Likes

Thank you for this note. I love the Rochioli SVD Pinots. Joe Rochioli practically founded Sonoma Valley Pinot and his Westside Road grapes are among the best. They are definitely New World, which frankly is what the wife and I like. The Sweetwater and the the Three Corner, Little Hill, and River Block SVD wines, while all a little different from each other, are each unique in character and a bit different that what others are doing in the area. And the fruit he sells to Williams Selyem also makes some mighty fine wine.

I like these also, but as a change of pace and outlier. Though not simple, they remain pretty monolithic when compared to good red burg. But that monolith is delicious!

For my palate Williams Selyem does a much better job with Rochioli fruit… I wish they still had access to West Block!

I agree with the word “monolithic” to describe the Rochioli wines.

I went on a Rochioli cruise in 2014 with Tom rochioli and crew. One of the tastings was 5 different producers using rochioli grape (2012 vintage). Very interesting. They were all from river block I believe. All were similar. That vintage, the rochioli Pinot stood out. Though, not blind.

For the final dinner, he poured the 2012 Rachael’s vineyard Chardonnay and the 2009 West Block Pinot. Tom Rochioli mentioned he felt his wines sweet spot was 3-8 years after bottling.

I am a fan of both!

I opened a 2011 West Block pinot a year or two ago to include in a blind tasting. I was imagining that with some age and being a 2011, it would show a more moderate style, but . . . no. Very ripe, jammy, nobody recognized it as pinot blind.

In retrospect, that wasn’t really the right way to deploy that bottle. I think to have shared it with some non-geek or less-geeky friends, just enjoy its extroverted and tasty nature, that would have been a success.

This is exactly how I like them as well. It’s not the sort of thing I’m in the mood for all the time, but they are a wonderful occasional reminder that sometimes what you’re really looking for is something that is just plain delicious.

Would have to agree that they tend to show well young and with some age. They soften with age, but don’t tend to develop a lot of complexity with age.
My note on the 2011 opened in 2020: Great nose with plum, cherry, raspberry, and a hint of earth. similar flavors layered. Well balanced, with enough acidity to hold longer. Smooth finish.
However, they have all beenn very enjoyable.
Hoping to see East Block come back.