TN: 2014 White Rock Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2014 White Rock Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/8/2022)
    Day 1: Classic Napa Valley Cabernet. Dark fruits, spice, mild oak, floral and menthol. Medium plus finish and nice acidity. Solid 93 points
    Day 2: Even Better. Cassis, spice, menthol, gravel, funk, earth and graphite. Medium plus and concentrated finish. This wine is off the charts on value. $60 a bottle! 94 points
    Recommendation: One of the better Napa Values in many years. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Never heard of these guys! $65 on their website for the current vintage.

This is a fun wine to blind people with. I often get theā€¦"This is either Napa from an ā€œold schoolā€ producer, or a Bordeaux from a warm vintage. I agree, I think these are a good value play for people that like well balanced Cabernet Sauvignon.

Great stuff. Love the Laureate as well. And their Estate Chardonnay.

Now I really know why I like the wine. RP 92 and better yet Suckling 91

They had some locally at Sunfish a few weeks back at $60

Old School great descriptor. I am glad a have a few bottles left of this.

The family that owns White Rock is one of the best ever. Wonderful people. Sadly they got nailed by the 2020 fire.

1 Like

Sad to hear that. I am still amazed at how good this wine is even on day 3. Not as good as day 2 but should age through 2030 nicely. [cheers.gif]

Iā€™m late to the game here, but Iā€™d highly recommend visiting White Rock while in Napa. One of my favorite experiences is dining at the picnic table on the property that overlooks its vineyards. Oh, and the wine is great as well.

What is the tasting cost? I know on some other groups I follow many of these Napa Tastings are super expensive.

I love White Rock. Great producer with a classic style. One of the best values in Napa.

Iā€™m not quite sure because itā€™s complimentary since Iā€™m a White Rock wine club member. I donā€™t remember it being outrageously expensive though.

1 Like

We just opened our last bottle of 2011 White Rock Vineyards Claret (Bordeaux blend). It was drinking really well and seemed very classic old school napa style. I wasnt sure if it was just the lighter year, or that was typical. Thanks for the info!

Have really enjoyed the wines from this property/producer. The Syrah and Cabs (Laureate, Cave Hill and Napa) are our favorites. Last time we tasted there in 2018 it was $50 waived with 3 bottle purchase. I think it was the 2017 fire that nailed them. If memory serves, they lost everything earlier than ā€˜13 as it was stored in the parentā€™s basement whose house burned down. Highly recommend their wines and the experience.

You hit the nail on the head on the fire.

Also, Iā€™ve had White Rock Clarets from between 1999-2001 and they were exceptional. Iā€™d highly recommend those if you can track them down. They werenā€™t overly expensive.

Sounds old school without the big production which I like. So many wineries in Napa do these 1.5 to 2 hour sit down tastings with food. I just want to taste the wines make some purchases and go to the next place.

1 Like