Boston/MetroWest Wine and Poker group

Us:
a group of wine lovers that have been meeting in the Greater Boston area since 2007
We’ve hosted over 100 get-togethers and poured over a thousand bottles of wine
We get together 6-8 times a year (in normal times) on Sat or Sun afternoons at one of our houses to serve a meal and a blind flight of 7-12 wines
Each person contributes $80 which goes to funding the next event
The winner takes the prize money to buy the food and wine for the next one (most people end up spending over budget, so winning is good for bragging rights but bad for the wallet)
Most of us live in Metrowest, but have members on the South Shore, North Shore, and southern NH

due to the passage of time (moving away, losing interest, even a death, unfortunately) our group has dwindled from 10-12 to 5-7 regulars. We’d like to find some new interested members.

You:
Enjoy wine and enjoy playing poker for 4-5 hours straight
Willing to contribute $80 for a day of food and wine
Don’t need to be a world-class poker player (the emphasis is on wine as much as the cards), but should understand blinds, tournament structure, basic poker rules and procedures
Don’t need to be a world-class wine expert (most are super knowledgable though; I’m probably the only one there more for the poker than the wine- and they don’t make me spout tasting notes!)
preferred, but not necessary, that you have the ability to host occasionally (some people don’t, and just pass on to the runner-up if they win)

If interested, please PM me thanks! No long-term commitment needed, come to one and see if you like us and we like you!

For additional detail on the wines, search for Malinoski or Reis here, two Berserker members who post notes. As examples of the wines, see:
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2927460#p2927460

here are our most served producers:
Louis Jadot 16
Robert Mondavi Winery 15
Viader 14
Beaulieu Vineyard 14
Beringer Vineyards 13
E. Guigal 12
Ridge 12
Windy Oaks Estate 11
Château de Beaucastel 10
Sandlands 9
Rivers-Marie 9
R. López de Heredia 8
Château Gruaud Larose 8
Rhys 7
Joseph Drouhin 7
Eric Kent Wine Cellars 6
Mayacamas Vineyards 6
Château Sociando-Mallet 6
Château Léoville Barton 6
Turley 6
Kosta Browne 6
Joseph Phelps 6
Bouchard Père et Fils 6
Nicolas Potel 5
Copain 5
Concha y Toro 5
Bedrock Wine Co. 5
Rhys Alesia 5
Clos des Papes 5
Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyards 5
Carlisle 5
Domaine Joseph Roty 5
Chappellet 5
Sea Smoke 4
Tenuta delle Terre Nere 4
Dominique Laurent 4
Château Clerc Milon 4
Le Cadeau 4
Domaine Tempier 4

1 Like

Would just add, really nice group of guys, except Kyle when he is bluffing you off a big pot!:wink:

hi admins- could you move this to the offline / event group? I don’t know how to do that but should have posted there I guess. Or, I will just post again there if this gets buried. thanks!

Sign me up. Living Hudson MA, but moving to Boston.

I really wish I lived in Mass. I’d love to host a game night & wine like this. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds like a total blast. Robert and Marc, we should do this in Orlando.

sigh…
Sounds awesome!

I’d definitely be interested. North shore here.

PM sent

The Boston Wine/Poker Group met yesterday for a great afternoon of food, wine, and poker. We were joined by 2 new Berserker recruits and we have 1-2 others that are interested. Still room for 1-2 more so please read the first post and PM me any questions. Next game targeted for early/mid July.

Here were the wines (served blind) yesterday:
2013 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.276 “Methode Champenois” USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville
2017 Sandhi Wines Chardonnay Sanford & Benedict Vineyard USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
2018 Vie di Romans Friuli Isonzo Pinot Grigio Dessimis Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Friuli Isonzo
2009 Lungarotti Torgiano Rubesco Riserva Vigna Monticchio Italy, Umbria, Torgiano
2015 Proprietà Sperino Lessona Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Lessona
2018 Ponzi Vineyards Pinot Noir Vigneto II Sufi USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
1976 Robert Ampeau & Fils Volnay 1er Cru Santenots France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
2006 Hospices de Beaune Corton-Cuvée Docteur Peste Faiveley (Hospices Auction Group) France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Old Vines USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
2018 Ridge Lytton Springs USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley
2018 Ridge Geyserville USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley
2015 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
2016 Screaming Eagle The Flight USA, California, Napa Valley
2001 Chateau La Tour Blanche France, Bordeaux, Sauternes

How was the '76 ampeau? I really enjoyed the '01

Kyle - sent a PM, but not sure it went through. I’m definitely still interested. Let me know if you didn’t get my PM

any thoughts on the Lungarotti? in particular how much air or maybe pairing thoughts? I am considering opening the only bottle I have this weekend.

Very elegant sangiovese. Time has smoothed out the rough edges. Give it about 1-2 hours of air and it will put on some weight and blossom nicely. No need to wait on this.