congrats to Travis Allen (Kobayashi)

Some glowing reviews in Vinous for Travis’s most recent releases. Great guy doing really interesting stuff in Washington, glad to see the recognition!

5 Likes

His wines where the best out of all at Hospice du Rhone, in my opinion. Absolutely amazing stuff.

5 Likes

that is great to hear Adam. What bottles was he pouring? I have known travis since before he became a winemaker and is such a good guy.

1 Like

Mazel tov, great guy making great wines.

1 Like

I am now the proud owner of two bottles of his Mizunara Cab Franc, thanks my having the winning ticket in a fundraising auction by WBer Scott Tallman. I’m fascinated to try them, and very appreciative for Scott’s generosity.

Aside from those bottles I have, what is a good entry point for Kobayashi wines? What’s an available bottle or two I could pick up to get a sense of the winery and style?

High praise! Love to hear this!

And, from the photos, Mario was the best looking pourer.

1 Like

Chris, hope you enjoy those bottles but definitely give them some time. I’m sure others will offer different takes and all the wines are worth exploring, but I’d start with the Vio and Syrah (regular or sans soufre).

I consider Travis a friend and have been drinking wines with him for 15 years so take my comments with a grain of salt if you’d like, but he is an extremely talented winemaker who isn’t afraid to take risks and push the envelope for what he believes. His wines are complex and thought provoking and equal or surpassing anything coming out of Washington/Oregon/California today. Huge fan of Travis and Mario!

His Marsanne is unlike any I’ve ever had with an intensity not often found in WA Rhone whites.

1 Like

I talk a little about it in the HdR thread, so I can not say I tasted even half of what was poured, but out of what I tasted, his stuff really aligned with my palate.

Jared - agree about his Marsanne - amazing stuff. Not sure how he managed to make it so floral and fresh somehow - it’s rare you get that with that grape.

This is not a surprise, but certainly a delight. They have been nothing but spectacular (both the wines I have tried, and the customer service from Mario et al)

Congrats champagne.gif

Vio or Marsanne are good whites, as good as WA whites get frankly.

San Soufre Syrah is his best wine in my opinion. He makes great wines all around, but the SS Syrah is his best wine.
(i’ve not had the Mizunara except a barrel sample… i own it but was told hands off for a while!).

(I too know Travis, and drink socially with him so ‘grain of salt’ etc etc etc)…

2 Likes

Congrats Travis!

Great to see you at HdR. Every time I suggested that someone should visit your table, they had already been there and loved the wines. The attention is well deserved.

Cheers!

Steve

2 Likes