terre et sang

new lompoc based winery,
duncan harmon is the proprietor.
on the fence about buying.
syrah and grenache, larner and thompson vineyards for syrah.
anyone buying and/or know more?

is
that
better?

2 Likes

index.jpg

2 Likes

I’ll let you know. I’m stopping by in 2 weeks to visit.

1 Like

I don’t know the people involved with the project, but the pretentious description is a major turn-off for me:

IT IS IN THE SHADOWS OF PROCESS THAT WE DISCOVER OUR SOUL, FINDING STRENGTH IN THE FACE OF EACH YEAR’S CHANGE. THIS VISCERAL CONNECTION WITH MOTHER EARTH BINDS US TO THIS EVOLUTION, BRINGING A CONSTANT AND CONTINUOUS METAMORPHOSIS IN BOTH LAND AND BOTTLE. WE SEEK ONLY TO SHEPHERD THIS LIQUID SONG OF SOIL AND BLOOD INTO EXISTENCE, RELISHING THE OPPORTUNITY TO PEEL BACK EACH LAYER TO REVEAL THE ESSENCE OF WHAT LIES BENEATH THE SURFACE.

2 Likes

yea that says literally nothing. waste of words.

1 Like

The owners of Terre et Sang get fruit from Moulds Vineyard and because of that have come to know them. Joe Davis originally introduced me to them a few years back. Just tonight tried the “Patriarch” Syrah from Larner Vineyard in Ballard Canyon. Probably the best Rhone styled-wine I’ve had from a new’ish producer since I was introduced to Andremily 4 years ago. Deep purple color. Deep, dense aromas of blueberries and graphite and earth. Given the big nose was expecting a monster mouthfeel, yet it is very smooth and even suave. Listed at 14.9%, but might be a tick higher in reality. No heat. Somewhat like a great Paso Syrah aromatically but without the sense of over-ripeness I sometimes get from there. Come from a highly reputed vineyard on sand in Ballard Canyon, essentially a warmer area east of the Santa Rita Hills. This area is still much cooler than Paso, or even Sonoma and I think this is to its benefit. I don’t sense much new oak on this at all. If there is any, it is buried under a lot of extract. A thrilling wine. $75, which seems fair for the quality. I am use to Napa prices, so the tariff does not scare me. If there is any of this left, I plan to buy a 3-pack.

2 Likes

Duncan is a cool guy. My wife and I were really impressed. The Long Road is a great Syrah. Fortunate to try a few barrel sample. Terre et Sang has some great wines coming.

2 Likes

Hello everyone and thanks for your comments. Point taken. We have swapped out new verbiage for the dramatic prose. It was intended as a placeholder and seemed cool at the time. The process for creating our website has taken longer than we expected so, while we continue to develop the full site we have changed the front website copy. In the coming weeks, further pages will be added to provide additional info on who we are while we build out the final big bad beautiful site. Those who know us know that we are, quite literally, the polar opposite of pretentious. That stuff makes my skin crawl.

Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks for your candor, Duncan. I looke forward to try your wines. You’re sourcing some good fruit.
Tom

1 Like

Decided to try the Syrahs. Ordered two 2019 3-packs of one each…The Long Road, Patriarch Larner, and Leave it to the Birds. Difficult to find much information on the winery and nothing really on CT. Looking forward to delivery.

1 Like

I think you will be glad you did.

1 Like

2019’s Syrah’s were crazy good…just got 2020 offering. Going for Syrah’s and the Grenache. Very nice packaging. Not sure why CT shows very little inventory on this winery?

1 Like

The alc. % scares me a bit. 16.8% seems a bit extreme.

2 Likes

funny i thought the opposite.
good on them for standing out in the crowd of a sea of mostly everyone being the same.

Sounds like a retailer who posts on this board with some regularity.

Last wines I remeber at those levels were Martinelli Zins and Pinot Noir and they were just too much…that is 29 year old me saying that.

1 Like

martinelli didn’t exactly have the habit of putting the b in subtle. don’t let them spoil higher labeled alc levels for you.
if it’s made correctly it’s as relevant as pH or total acidity. meaning, not relevant.

Other than the boozy, foggy feeling in my head! :slightly_smiling_face:

I do agree on balance, but not necessarily looking to add a 16%+ mailer.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct - and there are many on this board that dig these types of wines . . . but it is becoming rarer and rarer. Yep, folks don’t even look at alc levels with wineries like SQN because of the style that the wine is made in, but newer wineries hitting 16+ are pretty rare.

I wish Duncan and his mom the best of luck - they are inhabiting Joe Davis’s old production area and are opening a pretty huge tasting room in downtown Los Olivos for those who visit the area. Nice folks.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol levels - maybe they are just being honest? :man_shrugging:t4:
9/10 modern American cabs labeled 14.5 are over 15.5 (from cali and WA). We all tend to think too much about the number but instead should probably focus more on balance. Just my .02

1 Like