Best Pop & Pour under $40 That's Readily Available

Long story short, I recently drank the last bottle a 20 case purchase of great pop and pour wine (was a great deal and I purchased every case that was available); the negative result is I haven’t considered what I should buy for this situation in quite some time. Instead of going back to the drawing board I figured I would crowd source the effort.

Give 'em to me!!!

Rich, a couple of questions that may be helpful to people on the board in better suggesting recommendations:

-What was that 20 case wine you used to drink?
-Are you looking for something similar in taste profile to that or are you looking for something different?
-If the latter, what types of wines to you enjoy?
-Are you looking for reds, whites, either?

1 Like

Sorry, I posted in a hurry. I should have mentioned that I was looking for red but with regard to the rest I was intentionally vague as I just want to see people’s thoughts and then I can look into it myself. I would hate to pigeon hole the recommendations based on my previous wine purchase. I could always buy what I like over and over again, but I am looking to mix it up. Basically, I’m looking for something that sings right when you open it (as much as it can) and is readily available…earthy, fruity, old world, new world…I’m agnostic to these at the moment.

Where do you live? “Readily available” can vary a lot! Is mail order ok or do you need something local?

1 Like

I’d prefer getting at a wine store, but could live with mail order.

I live in the Chicago area

Saint Cosme cotes du Rhone is a steal at less than $20, Vin Chicago or Binnys or Costco even less

2 Likes

Raul Perez Ultreia St Jacques is $19 at Binny’s.

That is an easily acquired red wine that can be drunk now which I would be happy to have a case of. My guests of all stripes seem to enjoy it as well.

1 Like

Bedrock OVZ…I can pop cork and drink whole bottle within 30min! $20

2 Likes

Anne Sophie Dubois l’Alchimiste Fleurie. About $30 at Knightsbridge, Perman Wine, and Bottles Up.

1 Like

Any red from Hobo or Camp.

Antinori Toscana $15 Italian blend
Rodano Chianti $15 Chianti Classico
Les Heretiques $11 French Carignan
Shebang $12 California Zin blend
Alexander Valley Vineyards Cab $24, Sonoma Cab

All should be pretty much available nationwide.

1 Like

These answers are fantastic…thanks

Muga Reserva rioja. Idk, maybe $25 with a case discount, should be really widely available, versatile at table, good to drink on its own or with food, drink now and can age a bit too.

2 Likes

For reds, I’d consider Thivin. Went deep on both 2014 CdB and 2017 Reverdon when I found good price, and in each case I was sad to see the last bottle go. They are good on pop and pour. They last quite a while but, in my opinion, don’t require much time in bottle to show well. I’d definitely be happy with a couple of cases, though I’d personally look for a more classic vintage and avoid the very ripe vintages we’ve seen more of recently.

Another strong option, IMO, would be 2016 Vajra Albe if you can still find it, as it’s ready now but should last quite a while. At a lower price point I’d be happy with several Nebbiolo Langhe, any number of Barbaresco, Calabretta VV, several from Vallana, and many more. Wouldn’t mind a bunch of Felsina, Castell’in Villa, or Monsanto CCR either but would need to find a back vintage if it was going to be ready now upon pop and pour.

3 Likes

Lots of good ones up above.

Thivin Cote de Brouilly is a fantastic recommendation.

Idlewild Flora & Fauna Red Wine (blend of Italian grapes from Northern California) is my go-to pizza wine, and goes great with a bunch of other food as well. It’s $25 from the winery, but is also around in distribution.

Felsina Chianti Classico is another go-to bottle for me. Been drinking it since the 1995.

Desire Lines Winds of Change red blend is one that is worth looking for. It was my favorite new wine of 2021.

2 Likes

like the Muga and la Rioja Alta ideas…but Beaucastel Coudelet would be my first choice…

Also a good choice, and one I considered, but I think that, as with the CCRs I mentioned, you’d need to find a back vintage or give it some time on its side.

I agree with D@vid that Winds of Change from Desire Lines is probably the best PnP wine that I have had in a long time. I’d also like to recommend Wines of Substance Cabernet Sauvignon. It can usually be found at Costco for ~$13

2019 Domaine Lafage “Cuvée Nicolas” Grenache Vieilles Vignes $15 bottle. Back up the truck i.e. 20 cases worth. Perfect all by itself and with a multitude of dishes.

Wow MN has great prices. We have that wine on sale for $14. I do agree it is very good and drinking it right now. 2020 vintage