FUTO Oakville Estate 2019

Got the release email today. Been a longtime buyer from this property all the way back to its Oakford Vineyards days. Was lucky enough to purchase some library bottles from the 80’s, their ‘87 remains one of my favorite cabs ever.
After spending a few years at $350/btl, the 2018 jumped to $380 and now the 2019 to $450. Ugh. For the first time under the FUTO label the Oakville Estate is 100% Cab & Suckling gave it 100pts.
Very conflicted on this one.

Tom makes great wines. They aren’t cheap.

Def getting pricey. I do love their wines. Was able to find some of the 2016 OVSL at like $175 a bottle which was exciting.

I love Futo wines, and have visited the property twice. Tom and Jessica, and Jason are salt of the earth.

Also, cool story that the last time we were there, my GF and I were heading up the driveway and going the opposite way out was Lebron and Dwayne Wade. They had just been at a tasting. I tried to flag them to stop so I could pass out my business card (kidding).

That being said, I am passing on this. $450 a pop is just too much. Even the OV/SL which used to be a better QPR is now what, $300?

I still have a bunch in the cellar from vintages 13-16, and I will try and get lucky like Nick and find some in the secondary.

Agreed, great wines and great people. That said, have a hard time pulling the trigger at this price point. Has escalated quickly. I assume tempering likely lack of a 2020 vintage? Haven’t heard one way or the other from Futo on that front (perhaps I missed it via email).

I also wondered about the 2020 vintage & whether it’s impacting the 2019 price. I haven’t heard if Futo is making 2020’s.