TN: 2019 Peter Lauer Schonfels Riesling Faß 11 Großes Gewächs

The Schonfels GG has always been my favorite from Florian’s three grand cru sites, and in this stunning vintage it is no different.

Upon first opening the bottle there’s a gorgeous bouquet of quince, lemon peel, grapefruit, honeydew melon, and dry slate. The wine is ethereal, yet focused and mineral on the palate, with well-integrated acidity and undulating flavors of quince, melon, yellow florals, mint, and Asian spices. After several days of sampling this from the fridge, the nose and palate take on more herbal and spice tones (spearmint, sage, tobacco, and saffron in particular) while the yellow fruit and grapefruit citrus continue to show well.

This is a great Schonfels with lots of potential for age, but also very enjoyable to try one now if you have multiples in the cellar. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Fantastic note! You know how much I love that vineyard. I went long on the 2020!

1 Like

I just realized my source for 2020 Lauer purchases had not confirmed my request for the 2020 Schonfels, circling back now. Not sure if anyone still has it at good pricing…

I seem to remember a few recent offers. I didn’t bite as I have what I need, but I think the prices were pretty good.

Flatiron recently offered it and I bought some. Again. Apparently I bought it twice. Oh wells.

The U.S. allocation is down significantly this year. Guessing because of the amount that went to the auction bottling and possibly as a result of Stuart Pigott’s 98 point rating.