Best Current Top-Class Napa Cab Tastings in Napa

Hi, all - planning a trip to the valley and curious as to peoples’ thoughts on the best tastings at the moment for top-class cab. We visit fairly frequently, and have a few favorites, like RM, VV, Carter, etc., but hoping to source some ideas for a few new visits. Thanks in advance! [cheers.gif]

I travel to NV - here are some of my favorite top-class Cabernets and tastings. Some are open only to mailing list/allocations VIP (indicated by a *):

Accendo & Kinsman Eades at Wheeler Farms, Eisele, Bryant*, Colgin*, Nine Suns, Chappellet, Cornell, Fairchild/Stones Wines, Cornell, and Macdonald.

If you’ve never been to Pride on Spring Mountain, you owe that to yourself. It’s beautiful.
MACDONALD is great and the brothers are pure gentlemen.
Check out Tamber Bey in Calistoga. If you’re a Myriad lister contact Leah Smith. Don’t forget to see the miniature horses.

3 Likes

Probably a different experience from MACDONALD, Bryant, etc., but you could visit Heron House in Yountville if you like TRB/Mike Smith/Celia Welch wines.

1 Like

Heron House is a good ‘down valley’ option albeit devoid of a true winery visit. I would certainly include and have them curate something to your liking. Don’t miss Hobel & Steltzner.
Do it late afternoon before dinner at say Copia or Bistro Don Giovanni, both recommended BTW.

Another option with great views and hospitality is Chase Vineyards. Ask for the very gracious Katie Hayne Simpson. She has some great insight and history to share, not to mention some interesting wines to taste.

How much do you value having a nice vice, or dedicated hospitality staff/center, or many different wines to taste — whites and reds or just reds? Personally, I prefer a mix of tastings with small producers — meeting the owner/winemaker at their house, a restaurant for lunch, etc — and facilities with more of a dedicated hospitality set up and bougie tasting room with a view. For me, getting to experience both makes the best trip.

1 Like

I would include Sinegal and Spottswoode on your list.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I’d say we value equally the quality of the wines (red, mostly, but don’t mind a great white here or there) and the vibe/personal touch/experience. In other words, when we love a visit, the wines are truly “wow” wines and the experience is private, often in an amazing setting, and with someone who really knows the wines and the place (doesn’t necessarily have to be the winemaker). RM, VV, and Carter, for example, have both in spades.

As to the suggestions, we’re headed to MACDONALD and Accendo this visit, but Kinsman isn’t doing tastings until the 19s are ready. We have visited Heron House before, and while it’s definitely a nice tasting room, we found the wines they served to be fine but not great. We do love Myriad, but we have (fortunately and, in a sense, unfortunately) tasted all of the reds they’re currently pouring at Tamber Bey, so it probably makes sense to visit at a later date.

Again, really appreciate the suggestions and will check the others out!

1 Like

Memento Mori is a great tasting experience, albeit in a tasting room not located at a winery. I second Vice Versa, Nine Suns, MACDONALD and any of the Wheeler Farms tastings (TOR also does its tastings there).

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, been to MM and enjoyed it. Interested in trying TOR but I get the sense that they don’t pour their better bottles, which isn’t great.

When you stop at MacDonald, make sure to inquire about the potentially limited release of the '21 in custom bota bags. The ones they did for the '13 were incredible…tough to find craftsmanship like that in the modern era.

2 Likes

We asked in advance and were able to taste both Black Magic and Pure Magic (among other wines)- unless by “better bottles” you mean from specific vintages.

1 Like

Wanted to second Colgin. Had an wonderful visit a few year ago. Beautiful property, experienced host, wow wines, and a pleasant tour! Don’t forget to ask about the door behind the door! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Dana estates is an incredible visit. I did the ONDA level experience and did not try the Dana red wines. I’m sure they do an elevated experience for Dana members, which may be possible if you give them a call.

Great suggestions. Thanks, all!

Aside from what’s already been mentioned, I highly recommend VHR and Skipstone.

Bruce is a world-class host and the experience of visiting the farm/cottage is second to none. Skipstone has one of the most beautiful properties in Napa Valley.

Lokoya was amazing as well. My wife and I were there in November. Tasted through the 2018’s and 2 library wines.

I didn’t realize anyone could stop by and taste MacDonald.

A little curious about that, myself. How does one arrange a visit/tasting at MACDONALD? I signed up for their mailing list about 2 1/2 years ago, but who knows when/if I’ll ever get an allocation…

Not inexpensive, but an incredible experience.

https://www.promontory.wine/

1 Like