Question..2005 Bizot Vosne-Romanee VV

So humor me here and apologies for my ignorance. I own very little Burgundy, drink very little Burgundy, pay little to no attention to it. Doing a little inventory and I happened upon one lonely bottle of 2005 Bizot Vosne-Romanee VV. Know zip about it other than CT tells me it’s worth $3700, did a double take. Not sure how accurate that is. Paid $40 in 2009, purchased from Binny’s. Maybe I should have bought more…ha! Just trying to figure out what I have here. I’m drinking this at some point, not selling but curious. Thanks!

It’s accurate enough. Bizot is the hot new thing. Never had this wine so I can’t comment on quality, but $3,700 for a village wine is … a lot.

2 Likes

Friends,

Had the Bizot in La Petite Auberge. A rich friend was with me and he insisted…Modest as I am I accepted the generous offer. Far too expensive for what it is. Some domaines really overplay the game. Would never buy there. Surely not any better than G NOELLAT, MILLOT, Th LIGER BELAIR or many other domaines that sell at more or less fair prices. BIZOT think they are LEROY or DRC or at least they pretend to…

SINCERELY JOHAN

can someone please explain these to me. i’ve had a bunch over the years and they weren’t good at all. they were merely famous appellation for really cheap and got some decent BH scores. yes, other domaines have gone on a similar price trajectory such as truchot and engel - but those were actually good/very good wines, sometimes even great. what exactly happened with bizot and when?

I’ve had the same questions. They’re all over Instagram, seemingly concentrated among influencers in SE Asia. My best guess is that Bizot became a thing in SE Asia and production is miniscule – and that’s all it takes.

What’s crazy is that you mention Truchot and Engel – but it seems that Bizot pricing has gone way beyond Truchot/Engel etc. A friend of mine ITB told me his buddy recently sold a single bottle of '15 Bizot VR VV for 5,000 Euro.

Does BIZOT think they are Leroy/DRC or does the market hype/price them up to be?

I’m pretty sure for that 3700 dollar of Vosne, the domaine is getting sub $100…

The wines really took off in quality with the 2015 vintage for me, since then Jean-Yves has been on a roll.

I think right now in Asia you have quite a few people who really learnt about Burgundy through the lens of DRC and Leroy. And there are not really many producers in Burgundy that make wines that deliver flavors and aromas in that register. Bizot is one that clearly does, and indeed flavors and aromas that can be even more dramatic and head-turning.

Bizot was already expensive before, partly because of how it was distributed, but today this is clearly a market-driven phenomenon and I’d posit that this is the cause.

2 Likes

Tulips, anyone? [swoon.gif]

Market pricing wise Bizot and Arnoux seem to both ring true to those statements.

Have had one Bizot (thanks, Brad) - 2014 Vosne Romanee and it was so wicked good a couple years ago. Wish it was still a $75 wine.

It’s a matter of a small number of super rich collectors/drinkers willing to pay almost any price to get what they want, which isn’t how most people think. I reckon there’s a price ceiling set by DRC/Leroy wines though

I’m sure there’s some speculation involved (someone hoping to profit by selling it at a higher price), but more often than not it looks like (based on IG) it’s end consumption in Asia

For Bizot? Or burgundy in general?

What is the value maximizing way to sell 2-3 bottles? Asking for a friend.

I thought they stopped making the Vosne Romanee VV in 2010? 2009 being the last VV vintage?? If you look at CT, you cannot find any picture of the Vosne Romanee village bottling with the VV name on it on wines younger than 2009. I could be wrong though.

It could have been a different wine or vintage. It’s all hearsay info.

I used to track these on K&L (2018ish) but gave up when Jachees hit $200 & Echezeaux passed $300. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I love Marsannay, but if I were sitting on stocks of Bizot Marsannay, that’s the first one of substance to go for me [wow.gif]

Was appreciate one time to get a glass to try… a older Vosne’s nose was so en fuego for me (I don’t recall vintage, was maybe 07?). Set off all all sorts of neurons for me. Still find it difficult to describe today… it was cedar incense smokey earthy in a way that just cut straight to new areas of the brain. Faded a little after 10 min or so, but those first 10 min were incendiary.

1 Like

A generous friend poured the 2017 VR for me and I think dramatic is a good word for it. There are subtler, prettier noses that I’ve had for my taste, from top names in Burgundy, but Bizot’s crazy dark smokiness is unique and I could see people being willing to pay up for it if they found it to their particular tastes

2017 turned out really well for him! The 2017 Jachées is I think the best Bizot wine I ever tasted. IIRC I have one bottle left.