Josephine Glasses by Kurt Zalto

I’ve been seeing these uniquely shaped glasses all over Instagram and in Bon Appétit’s new wine series with Andre Mack. Curious if others have these stems and what you all think of their performance compared to the likes of Zalto, Grassl, Sensory, Glasvin, etc. Thanks.

I am curious as well. That said, even if they are functionally the best glass ever, I don’t think I could bring myself to buy any - I really don’t like the shape.

1 Like

I got a couple of the No. 1 and No. 2 to try out for rieslings and such after Robert Dentice tipped me off (he switched to these). They are good quality glasses for sure, but for me I keep going back to Zalto Universal.

1 Like

Damn, they ugly.

3 Likes

It takes the most impeccable taste to serve your wine out of such ugly glasses.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not using those. I’m sure they are fine stems but so are many others that are rather more pleasant in appearance.

-Al

2 Likes

Interesting review today by the wine-journalist Tom Cannavan

3 Likes

Thank you Martin. I have been wondering about the other glasses, so far I’ve only been using the universal which has rapidly become my favorite all around glass.

1 Like

Yeah, these might be the most perfect wine glass ever made but I can’t bring myself to give them a swirl. Their resemblance to my post-Covid, muffin-top physique is way too negative of an association!

2 Likes

Totally agree. Have to be the least visually appealing glasses ever made. They actually kinda trigger me everytime i see one on Instagram, ha!

1 Like

I wasn’t a fan of them from the photos, but I made a recent trip to Andre Mack’s wine and ham bar in Brooklyn (called “& Sons”) and he uses the Josephinen glasses extensively. I have to say… after seeing it in the flesh and using them, they’re pretty awesome. They looks much sleeker in person and they’re a pleasure to drink from. Compared to Grassl, they’re both exceptionally fine glasses (elegant, feather light), but the Josephinen clock in at almost 50% higher cost, which is the ultimate deal killer for me.