2016 Trimbach Riesling 390ème Anniversaire

I have loved the 2001 375ème and eagerly awaited this release.
I did buy a bottle to try, and I’m not sure what to think.

The first night I found it disappointing, but only compared to my high expectations. It was quite tasty, rounder than a CFE for sure and drinking well upon opening. Good depth and length but it seemed to lack the spine I was seeking. A good wine but seemingly a poor value.

The second day was much more like it. All about lime zest acidity, and mineral more than fruit. To the point that my wife, who’d liked it a lot on day one, didn’t want to drink it.

I recall that the 2001 375ème was delicious from the time of release, much more so than a normal CFE would be, but has done very well with twenty years, and maybe this wine is also attractive early but does have the backbone to last and evolve.

From what I’ve read and expect from the 2016 CFE, if I were younger I’d wait for that to be released and try to buy a bunch. At my age, maybe the 390ème is a more appropriate purchase as something to drink over the next 10 years. The bonus is that having it will allow me more sense of “freedom” to drink my 2001 375ème.

I’m very interested in the thoughts of others.

I will let you know as soon as I pick mine up!

I haven’t yet tried the new wine, but I note that the 2001 wasn’t released in the States until the fall of 2008 so perhaps the extra time before consumption accounts for a bit of the difference.

It’s also not called CFE, the way the the 375ème was, and it’s priced below where the CFE will be rather than higher.

1 Like

The Trimbach site lists it under their “Reserve Personnelle” range, a step below where they slot CFE.

Yes David, that was my point. Thanks for making it more clear. Meanwhile, off to buy a few.

I’m a 375eme lover and am waiting for 400eme . . . hope I’m around.

And better hope it is a vintage as good as 2001…25 additional years of climate change makes that a dicey proposition.

So 2026 [if the world still exists] would be the 400th Anniversary?

yes