TN: 2002 Belle Pente Riesling Vendange Tardive (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2002 Belle Pente Riesling Vendange Tardive - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/22/2022)
    14yrs since my last bottle of this…don’t be scared by the dark bronze color, cuz there is freshness in there! Rich botrytis fruits of the tropical and raisin kind…yet there is a lite and refreshingly feel to all that perceived motor oil darkness…fresh and cut pineapple and orange squeeze…lemon sour citrus…creme brule crust, maple syrup, candied coconut dates, peach tea…really wonderful sweet to dry integration…balanced and expressive…finishes with some sneaky barrel spice and aged Sauternes like saffron. Nothing really stands out “Riesling”…but for an aged sticky…me likey! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I’m not much of a fan of sweeter wines anymore, but this was really delicious back in the late oughts. It had good acid, so that might have helped it survive.

1 Like

An absolutely killer dessert wine. Beautiful balance of sweetness and acidity. I’ve tasted it perhaps 4 or 5 times and loved it every time. The first and only bottling that Brian did. Brian Budke (formerly of Vinopolis) was helping that vintage and described the winemaking. Grueling!

Thanks for the TN Buzz. Very envious you still have one/some.

RT

1 Like