Higher tier South African Chardonnay

So a few days ago I had the Leeu Passant Chardonay 2018 (Mullineux project in Stellenbosch) and was really impressed.
Definitely New World body but not overoaked and with great depth and elegance.

Now i’m doubting about buying some more (2019 vintage) but I was wondering if any of you has some experience with other great quality Chardonnay from SA.
Thanks in advance!

I’ve found that Hamilton Russell’s Chardonnay is very consistent and enjoyable year in year out

1 Like

Agree 100%. Very good every vintage, easy to find, fairly priced. Beautiful label, too.

Yup, Hamilton Russel.

As others have said, HR, but there are lots more:

DeMorgenzon
De Wetshof
Delaire Graaf
Crystallum

And so on. This is worth listening to if you’re interested: Wine Enthusiast Podcast: The Insane Appeal of South African Chardonnay | Wine Enthusiast

You’re starting into a real South African wine discussion if the participants have names like Sake Schoorl and Nick van der Merwe.

Nick, which of those wines you recommended have more of a Burgundy / lower alcohol / lower oak / higher acid type of sensibility to them?

Lismore makes a Chardonnay that would fit that profile very closely. Crystallum makes three very distinct Chards that depending on the vintage can fit it as well.

Edited to add - Bouchard Finlayson in the Overberg.

Where do you buy, cape ardor? I know HR wines are generally available. We love SA wines but have had the whites only there. I had an ‘07 vergelegen sauvignon blanc the first time we visited in ‘14 that I still remember. Maybe the setting but SA wines are under appreciated.

Haven’t had a Hamilton Russell in years, but those were quite impressive. Their pinots could be, as well, though some years they showed a bit too much oak.

Cape Ardor, and also Saratoga Wine have a very reasonable SA selection at good prices for the US market.