A fun weekend

• 1996 Bollinger Champagne R.D. Extra Brut - France, Champagne (15/01/2022)
    What an absolute bruiser of a wine. If the 96 deutz cuvee willy was Ali at his peak then this was definitely George Foreman. Darker colour than the cuvee willy, incredibly powerful with strong bruised apples, some oyster shell and honey. Definitely more of a wine with some bubbles than what most people would imagine a champagne to be. Would have been incredible with lobster thermidor but a bit too much as an aperitif with hors d’oeuvres.
  • 2014 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (15/01/2022)
    From double mag. Obviously very young in this format despite being double decanted 3 hours before serving. Initially, dry, tight and a bit chalky on the finish but with obvious potential. The last few pours really showed the wine getting into its stride with great authority. Powerful lemon and honey combo. Easily the best chassagne I’ve had. How much was the format vs the great vintage vs the producer vs the vineyard? Sadly, doubt I’ll ever see another dmag to compare!
  • 1996 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (14/01/2022)
    I’ve been very fortunate to drink some amazing champagne over the last year or so. In this format (magnum), this was up there with the very best. Rich, golden colour with absolutely perfect balance and great precision. Wish we’d had more time to let it develop in the glass and assess its evolution with some more air but it was in just such a perfect place that everyone piled in! An interesting contrast with the 96 bolly rd from regular bottles the following evening.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Nice!

Caillerets is a good vineyard