TNs: A Tale of Two Pinots: 2017 Kutch Bohan, 2011 Simone Bize SLB Aux Vergelesses

Got into a couple of Pinots this weekend while riding the “storm” out

• 2011 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (1/16/2022)
    Interesting as there are slew of positive notes from years back, and then several disappointing notes more recently. Possible that some of us are more susceptible to the greens. My bottle was perhaps a poster-child for problematic '11s. As others have pointed out in earlier notes, this shows green, herbal, and austere. Air does not help. It’s just not great. There’s the Bize elegant palate presence, but the astringent and green bitter note does not abate.
  • 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2022)
    I think FMIIIs last note below nails it. A transparent light red in the glass. There a delicate touch here, a deft fruit presence that is tangy, but elegant. Red fruited. Almost feels natty, like it wasn’t manipulated at all. I mean that in a good way. Hints of fragrant spice come on as the wine opens. Very easy to drink in its elegance and joyful nature.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Dennis

You’re writings are a joy to read. Kutch is undoubtedly my favorite domestic Pinot producer and am currently waiting on UPS to arrive with 2 bottles of Marcassin. That will fulfill a “bucket list” wish for me, though I’m very conservative in how long I rest them.

Thanks so much, Len. I don’t drink enough Kutch. I need to remedy that. Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Ugh on the Bize. I have a few. Gilman and Meadows really liked it 9-10 yrs ago without any comment on the greenies. I’m hoping it’s shut down…pretty please.

We had a couple 11s over the past few months that showed quite well- a Mugnier Marechale was great.
This one did not feel shut down. Meadows is also on record saying '04s would “outgrow” the green streaks. I think some people are more susceptible to pyrazines, and I might be one who is. The notes on CT are all over on this wine.
Would like to hear what you find when you pop your bottles!

1 Like

It’s quite the coincidence that people who review wines for a living all seem to be not sensitive to pyrazines.

1 Like

Or maybe it’s important that they are telling folks what they are getting - and something that may be ‘surprising’ to those who have had the same wine in different vintages.

There is no doubt that the general consumer, and many ‘knowledgable’ ones, simply do not like any sense of ‘green’ in their reds. I get it - but disagree as I do not mind a touch to add ‘complexity’ in reds.

Cheers.