TN: Saxum, DRC, La La, Chave, Beychevelle

CAE3396D-A50D-4C91-BE38-375445D03A63.jpeg
I have been fortunate over the years to taste some incredible wines - or, rather, wines that come with a reputation of being incredible. Over the years I have figured out that I just don’t like some of those wines, some of them have been “off” bottles, and some have been tasted where I just wasn’t ready/able to appreciate them. Always a great learning experience, even if I have walked away disappointed.

Yesterday, however, the stars were aligned. An impromptu Saturday afternoon tasting with a small group, where every single bottle seemed to be singing. No theme, just some people who decided to open something fun. I brought a 2005 Saxum 44 (extended barrel age) because I knew I couldn’t compete with what the others were bringing, so at least I could bring something they had never tried. The Saxum provided a nice counterpoint to the older French wines. Somehow the 15.9% alc didn’t come across as hot, just a lush, young, modern take on Syrah (and another data point confirming my love for Saxum).

The biggest surprise (for me) was the 2002 Vosne Romanee DRC. I have been lucky to have tasted a handful of DRCs over the years, but blind I have never been impressed; non-blind, and knowing the cost, hasn’t helped. But this one? Captivating. Over two hours, it was several different wines. Fresh and vibrant; savory and penetrating; floral and lithe. The #1 wine for many (my #2), it was a treat to have multiple glasses with one holding this wine to return to.

The 2006 Chave was another pleasant surprise. I love Syrah - all kinds. Chave shows up with a reputation and an expectation of greatness. The few I have tasted have all been good, but nowhere close to revelatory. This bottle seemed to be firing on all cylinders. Some funk on the nose, but captivating fruit notes on the back end - something I’m not sure I have ever experienced. The interplay of savory and fruit, with tell-tale northern Rhône Syrah notes, this wine just got better and better with air.

My favorite, which received a couple other #1 votes, was the 2001 Guigal La Mouline. I have never had a bad La La, and many have been spectacular. This afternoon, as I sat gobsmacked by the DRC and Chave and their evolution, the steadiness of the Guigal was like a warm hug. I know some of this is just personal preference, and I readily admit that I like Syrah and I like what Guigal does with it.

The 1989 Bechyvelle suffered a bit from the competition, but acquitted itself nicely. A nose of older Bordeaux without being over the top in the barnyard notes - just enough to make things interesting, but not off-putting. Good fruit, good acid, good balance. Seemed much younger than 1989, it would have won many impromptu tastings.

2022 has just begun, but if this ends up being the best tasting of the year for me, at least I will have the next 11 months to dream about it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the notes. Agree that sometimes super expensive top tier wines can be disappointing or one lacks the experience to understand.

Have had the 89 Beychevelle - great stuff and your tasting note sounds like mine. Cool to hear it held up!

Eric, your impressions are similar to mine. I didn’t get to follow their evolution as long as you did, but we followed them another almost two hours after you left.

The Saxum had such great texture to it. Wore its ABV well and certainly drank younger than the vintage! I love their wines. First time I’ve seen that 44 month offering…cool stuff.

The DRC was actually my first. I got a distinct smoked mint/wintergreen note aromatically. So unique. Even knowing the rarity and price, it was an excellent wine to try and appreciate its layers and purity.

I’d actually had that 2006 Chave once before, but this one showed more layers to it. Such a clean and pure expression. My last glass was significantly more black pepper driven than the first.

The LaLa was also my first, and what a ride! A wine that I will remember forever with its rollercoaster of a profile with the sweet teriyaki, cinnamon, and roasted red and black fruits. I fell in love. One of the best wines I’ve had that I can remember…and now I’ll be on a never ending journey to find/acquire/drink them whenever I can.

The 1989 Beychevelle was fun to try in that group with how different it was, and like you said, it drank so young! Perfect balance.

Heck of a way to start 2022!

1 Like

If Syrah tickles your palate, I can understand how top tier Burg always seems to disappoint. Stick with what works for you.

What a fun flight! Definitely appears that the DRC was out of place a bit in between three big Syrahs and the Beychevelle. What a wonderful way to start 2022.

Great notes, thanks! I had an almost symmetrically opposite experience. I drank a 2000 Chateau Tertre (Margaux), while gearing up to watch the Bills game. (Admittedly Bills and Bordeaux is not a slogan you hear much, but it worked–look at how they played:).) The Tertre was beautiful, balanced and complex, and as a 2000 fairly rich. Wanting more, I reached for a 2018 Broken Stones that I had under coravin. At first the transition was problematic–and the comparison is of course unfair, as the Saxum is way too young. With time, it began to show its promise–but Syrah generally is still 3rd for me, behind Bordeaux and Burgundy (at the top). Thanks again!

Must be a sting in the eye for some Guigal sceptikers …
although 2001 is not my fav vintage.
Chave is great though … and the DRC obviously DID perform …

Haha you are not letting it go :sweat_smile:.
But i will say that the La La’s i have tasted with age are some of the best wines i have had, even though i most often prefer a less oaky style.

That someone who never disliked one liked another?

[shrug.gif]

There do seem to be some Guigal skeptics out there. I am not one of them. There may be other wines out there that are better that I haven’t had, and if so I can’t wait to try them. That’s the fun part about this hobby - everyone has a preference, and so many people are willing to share. At the end of the day, we may not agree, but it’s fun to sit around and taste, talk, and learn.