Extremely Broad Generalizations Based on Over-Extrapolations from Limited Experience Thread

I thought I would start a thread of extremely broad generalizations based on over-extrapolations from one’s own limited experience. I’m thinking that this is a good place, based on tasting somewhere between 1-3 bottles in various settings, to rank producers that make 10-20 wines a year and have done so for half a century. This is also a good place to generalize an entire vintage from a particular region if you’ve had two or three bottles that are from that region or a place near it. Honestly, I’m not even sure you have to have had the wines you are commenting on in this thread in order to draw broad conclusions about broad categories of wines. I will start.

So 2005 red burgundy is completely over the hill. Last night I opened my 5th of a six-pack of Mugnier’s 2005 1er cru nuits marechale. This wine has always been open and has never ever shut down. So I take it that the same is true of all 2005 red burgundies as I’ve had one. But this bottle, while delicious, was completely secondary. The fruit forward nature has not just moved to the background, but completely disappeared. It is now a dying wine. I would suggest that you drink your 2005 red burgundy as quickly as possible.

Alex

5 Likes

Someone already started one… → Smoke Taint 2020 Northern California. - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

8 Likes

High Brian. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately that thread is based on Jeb Dunnuck’s tasting notes, which are based on experience. While I’m sure there are some extremely broad generalizations based on over-extrapolations within the thread, that’s not good enough. Unless you can say something reckless, I’m going to have to ask the mods to revoke your posting privileges in this thread. No hard feelings.

4 Likes

[rofl.gif]

1 Like

All people from Sonoma post like Brian does.

3 Likes

I just had what I expected to be a lovely 2004 Cali Cabernet that was corked.

Imagine, an entire state’s production, corked.

3 Likes

This is a very good post. Anton - please feel free to use this thread to share your thoughts on specific wines by saying things about vintages and producers.

1 Like

So we’re doing hot takes?

Rich people don’t understand the expensive wines they buy.

^ hi David. I can’t read your post because you are currently on my ignore list, but it’s a great note on a 2002 Donnhoff and it fits perfectly in the context of the thread. Thanks for posting.

3 Likes

Hi Alex - I can’t read your note because you are on my ignore list. You have been for a long time.

^ well, Schafer Frohlich for one, David. I had a 2019 with no sponti, so I’d recommend drinking them young.
Alex

All red Burgundies disappoint so I find your thread rather pointless.

1 Like

Good post. Not Anton level good but very much appreciated. But this thread isn’t limited to red burgundy. I drink a lot of German wine too and my main man in champagne is Cedy B. Keller makes the best wine.

My wife, who loves craft beer but doesn’t drink wine, says “wine geeks” are generally assholes. Can’t say I disagree.

How many years have you been married and during how many of those were you a wine geek?

[wow.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]

22 and counting. She just thinks we are all so pretentious

This type of evidence-based assertion doesn’t belong in this thread.

2 Likes

Sorry Dale. The “generally” is hedging her bets and so it doesn’t really work in this thread. I’m gonna ask the mods to revoke your posting privileges in this thread.

Wish I’d put this thread on ignore…

2 Likes

As do I!

1 Like