TN: 2017 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Les Journaries / Maestria

• 2017 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Les Journaries / Maestria - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (1/16/2022)
    Decanted 8hrs. I have really been enjoying 17 N. Rhones, which combine early accessibility and seemed to be priced well. This seems to be the case across a lot of regions, Burgundy etc. And here is yet another perfect example and probably one of the most enjoyable young Levets I can recall tasting. It doesn’t so much come across as ripe ala 2015 but simply expressive, clear in what it is offering and where it wants to go to. A lovely balance between perfectly fresh black currant plays off the back end structure, which adds just the right amount of saline /blood, earth, white pepper, and a touch of fresh tire on the finish. Don’t hesitate to open this young, it surely will age, but it has so much to say already. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Thanks for the note. I have 4 of these that were tucked into the 10+ year corner of my cellar. I might just pull one of these to see what’s happening. Is the 8 hours a
necessity, in your opinion?

Damn you have me salivating! I just got in my 2018‘s, and have not even tried my 2016 or 2017 Levets. I am tempted to crack a 2018.

I’d open 17 rather than 18, and I thought the 17 was better on day 2 (though it was also very nice on day 1).

Hey Tim, maybe 8 isn’t a make or brake number, but at least 2-3 as there was a wee bit of Levet funk on the nose in the early going. Post with your impressions if you crack one.

1 Like