TN: Couple of 2015 Guiberteau: Clos de Guichaux and Arboises

En apéritif:

• 2015 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Clos de Guichaux - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (1/15/2022)
    Really good. The nose is complex and intriguing: lemon, pear, quince, vegetal aromas (dried herbs, root vegetables) and some floral notes. The palate is all about texture: it opens pretty full with nice density and some creaminess but then the acidity really pierces through on the mid-palate and it finishes on nice chalky minerality. This is an interesting and delicious wine. It has the structure to continue to age beautifully but I don’t know the track record here in regards to oxidation. It drinks very nicely now but I’ll hold the other 5-7 years to see how it evolves.

With a roasted duck stuffed with chorizo and prunes, braised turnips and carrots:

• 2015 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Rouge Les Arboises - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (1/15/2022)
    Uncorked and épaulée for 3 hours. I kept checking on the initial glass I poured after opening over those 3 hours. The fruit stayed a little muted so I decanted about 30 minutes before service. That did wonders. Nice nose of ripe cherries but then the savoury streak hits you: roasted vegetables, herbs, earth and a hint of red meat. It has that sweet/savoury combo on the nose. Not too ripe at all on the palate: medium body, clean red berries, the same enticing savoury components as the nose and a nice crushed stones finish. The fine tanins are sneaky and do hit you a little on the finish. Beautiful acidity holding this all together from beginning to end. I like this. This could go awhile and I’d love to see those tanins mellow out a little. Next one in 3 to 5 years.

1 Like