Follow up: Grand Crus worthy of demotion?

Lots of great responses in a recent thread I started “1er Crus it Grand Cru Quality”. It brought up a few follow up questions, that I wanted to post separately. That way the info wouldn’t get buried in thread drift that went all over the place. Hope you all don’t mind. So here is my first follow up question:

Some mentioned that their are more grand crus worthy of demotion to 1er cru than the other way around. Which ones do you feel those are? Might be useful when price comparing while shopping. I’m interested in both red and white. Thanks!

It’s really producer specific in the large vineyards of CdV, Echezeaux and Corton. But as another mentioned, part of that can be blamed on variability of terrior. I don’t think that anyone would suggest there’s no GC quality wines coming out of those vineyards. So it’s not so much that the entire vineyard should be demoted, but potentially shrunken.

Right - or leased to better producers …
but neither would happen.

Same in some German sites. Damn ‘71 wine law! :wink:

I’d draw a distinction between “demote” and “don’t buy.” These things are too much in flux over time. Plenty of disappointments out there but none you could say for certain couldn’t be turned around in the right hands, with enough time.

la-tache and romanee-conti. this is from a purely antitrust POV. they shouldn’t benefit from GC status without having to compete.

Break Up Big Burgundy!!!

As an ex-antitrust lawyer I always did find it amusing that it was culturally acceptable there to put “Monopoly” right on the label.

they’re taunting us!!

I suppose DRC probably can profitably impose a small but significant and non-transitory increase in the price of LT without suffering substitution to other wines …