TNs: Some Cabernets

CABERNET BLEND THEME - (13/1/2022)

Cabernet theme where we struggled to finish the wines, probably because it was too heavy for a couple of us whose go-tos are usually lighter in nature. Also reminded me why I don’t cellar Bordeaux since it is very much possible to find bargains for wines from yesteryear on auction (especially when the label looks like that!) because of the sheer volume of production. Also will miss Asia Grand as one of the last bastions of free corkage and excellent service in Singapore, the cured meats and Peking duck always consistently delivered.

• 2015 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Smaragd Singerriedel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    Brought by a generous friend. Much better than the 2007 last week, but not a patch on the 2018. Slightly muted and awkward at first, but after a couple of hours it began to go into overdrive to show a glimpse of its power and weight. Outstanding finish.
  • 2001 Château Duhart-Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Classic claret. When popped and poured it was soft and approachable but more tannins emerged with time. Someone nailed this as a 2001 but this was showing correctly for its age, most of the guesses were in that ballpark (except an unfortunate friend who had to use a Chinese restaurant glass that didn’t show anything on the nose or palate). Usual Bordeaux markers of cassis and a little plum, tannins are refined. This is in a great place at the moment.
  • 2005 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
    Guessed this to be a modern producer from Pessac or Graves which spoke volumes about the vintage - apparently Sociando handled 2003 better than 2005. I guessed that this was not a classified growth as the tannins were a little more rustic than the Duhart-Milon that came before. Lots of blackcurrant fruit, alcohol was showing a little too much, especially compared to the more classic 2001 that I had last week. Also explains why the 2005 Cuvee Jean Gautreau was an absolute monster when I tried it last year.
  • 2003 Tenuta Guado al Tasso (Antinori) Bolgheri Superiore - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri, Bolgheri Superiore
    An obvious Italian with the sweet nose and finish and it did not have the earthiness of a Bordeaux, but the ripe plum fruits did make me think Australian for a while. Bricking colour, well-developed, this was opened well in advance which helped to soften the wine up. Didn’t mind this so much actually even if it was a little anonymous.
  • 2007 Domaine de Trévallon - France, Provence, Vin de Pays des Bouches-du-Rhône
    Clearly the outlier among the group, much more elegant and it was lighter with sweeter red fruit. Showed rather differently to the 1995 that I tried last year, but on the second day it developed to show more similarities as the Cabernet character took over. Interesting to compare, but think I preferred the darker and more tannic showing on day two.
  • 2014 Château Hosanna - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Ringer bottle that did not have any Cabernet. Guessed it as a young new-world with its milkshake-like texture. Lots of vanilla on the nose, and overdone blue fruit and caramel on the palate. I really dislike these wines that are glossed over with a sheen of new oak when the underlying fruit doesn’t support it.

Thanks for the notes, Melvin - after a long pause, I’m getting back into Duhart and will look out for that one.
I’m not surprised about the Sociando 05 - the bottle I opened last year took 24 hours to be approachable, then it was magnificent, but a real bruiser at first.

1 Like

That bottle of 2001 Duhart Milon looks like it already died a thousand deaths before being put out of its misery and sent off to auction!
Appreciate the TN as I do have a few of those (smudge-free bottles :wink:).

While I commiserate with having cabernet-based wines with Chinese roast duck and cured meats, from my experiences it will be difficult to align the wines with such menu.

Although I had a 1998 Bordeaux that’s been standing up since a week ago, I quickly changed gears and pulled a 2002 red Burgundy when the wife decided to order in for dinner last night a terrific crispy Mandarin duck dish with duck fat rice from our neighborhood Chinese. The pairing was close to flawless.

1 Like

Unfortunately only Chinese restaurants have free corkage here so our options are rather limited! Agree that can’t go wrong with duck and Burgundy though. [cheers.gif]