Beaujolais hunter - and more as Zachy's moves to Portchester!

Zachy’s, which is moving from the location it has occupied for at least 45 years in Scarsdale to a new location in Portchester in about 2 months, is selling off large portions of its inventory, IN STORE ONLY. All Beaujolais, of which they had a lot as of this afternoon, is 50% off, which appeared, from my Winesearcher investigation, to be at least 20-30% below lowest retail. We bought three bottles, a Daniel Bouland Chiroubles, a Bouland Morgon and a Chignard Julienas, and opened them together tonight to check them out as a flight. At an all in price of about $20 a bottle with tax, they were good solid bottles and typical, with no annoying banana flavors. As Don used to say, if you like Bojo, “Take a drive to Scarsdale.”

They are also selling a lot of other stuff in case lots, with substantial discounts of MSRP. Some bargains. At or below lowest WineSearcher retail in most cases. It makes no sense to me because it shouldn’t matter to them whether they deliver from the warehouse to their location in Scarsdale for case sales now or their new location in Portchester in two months. I picked up a case of Sabon Lirac ($20 a bottle as a wine to drink without a lot of thinking), some Deutz NV (because no one celebrates enough with bubbly), and a case of Vigna del Sorbo (because my wife likes Chianti).

I was there a few weeks back and they had tons of cases stacked all over the place. Definitely some good deals and I might make another trip back.

People complain about Zachys pricing but all of my purchases have been best in or well below market with free delivery in Westchester. Shop the sales, take advantage of coupon codes and Rakuten always gives $5 off per order. The move will make the drive a little further away but not that much but I don’t go in the store often.
I assume the rent in Scarsdale became cost prohibitive.

Damn, I was in there this week to pick up some auction lots, didn’t notice the Beaujolais. But I did look at some of the stuff stacked up- some good pricing. I got a 6pack of 2018 Fontalloro for $240 . Might go back for some Champagne and cooking whites.
I assume prime Scarsdale space is expensive (if they don’t own), but I think the driving factor is consolidation. It has always been a pain that retail store is in Scarsdale, while warehouse and auction offices are in White Plains. I think the idea is the Portchester space will house all three. Should lead to much less frustration.

woah, end of an era. Many fond memories of taking the train up there and meeting lots of famous winemakers at their walkaround tastings.

What does Portchester have that Scarsdale doesn’t? That’s a big move.
About as big as when Big Y Wines (Table & Vine) moved from Northampton to West Springfield.

1 Like

I happened to drive by the Portchester building yesterday. It is much bigger space. I think there is free parking. They can probably consolidate their Internet and auction teams into the same facility. The ay also combine their storage facility, but I do not know if that is planned. AND the retail space is Scarsdale is probably a lot more expensive.