1998 Conterno Bussia Soprana

Does the label say “Bussia Soprana”?

Yes. Why?

Cause I bought some and none of the bottles say “Bussia soprana”

my bad. says it on the back. If only there could be consistency

The 2004 bottles just say “Barolo” because there was a landslide in the vineyard and they had to source their basic bottling from elsewhere. Not sure what happened in the years after that.

I hope you have a better experience than me with them! CT notes seem to suggest better experiences from others, but nonetheless I’d suggest cracking one sooner rather than later.

Ian–not sure if you are referring here to '98 or '04 here, but if 98, I would agree. I had a number of oxidized bottles of 98’s from AC.

And I had a '96 Colonello, purchased in Alba in 2000, that was badly oxidized in 2015.

Hi John
The 98 bussia soprana. That said, they were infinitely better than the 1997 Cicalas, which fell over in a heap inside 15 years. Others appear to have been luckier, though CT certainly shows plenty of bottles that died way before they should have.
Regards
Ian

Yes, for me the whole period of 96-98 was a disaster, mostly oxidation. I don’t know if this was the period where they were experimenting with micro-oxigenation, or if this has nothing to do with it. They seemed to pull out of this phase with the 99 vintage.

1 Like

will pop 1 soon and report back

1 Like

That’s good to hear that they did resolve the issues. I used to think very highly of them and (honestly) would be happy for them to succeed, but that experience was the end of the line for me in terms of buying their wines, and since then the prices have gone up to a degree I’m unlikely to ever return to them.

I suspect you were right about the experimentation.