Bernard Amiot

Have a bottle of the 99 Chambolle musigny ‘aux Echezeaux’ open tonight. It is causing me some cognitive dissonance in that I’m very happy to be experiencing old school Chambolle (and burgundy) drinking at absolute peak, but sad because it represents something we may never see again with the combination of consolidation and climate change. I’ll post full notes later but this is just great.

Not sure what happened to this domaine. Last vintage was 2000. Presumably it was sold?

Is Bernard Amiot related to Domaine Pierre Amiot in MSD or Amiot-Serville.

As per Allen Meadow’s in 2002: “It is with great sadness that I report that M. Amiot has elected to sell his vines and as such, 1999 is the final vintage. The Amiot family faced what is becoming more common these days in Burgundy and that is the lack of a successor. M. Amiot had offspring capable of assuming his role but not the interest and thus the decision was made to sell.”

I remember drinking the 1er cru Chambolles from the early 90s long ago, with tea-like earthy complexity, and at the time they didn’t seem like they’d age so well. But they were quite enjoyable. They were a Rosenthal import weren’t they?

Yeah not sure who got his vines

I think it was Jadot but I may be misremembering. This question was asked last year.

I think he had charmes and chatelots for 1er

Yep, I asked it. Still haven’t been able to find out, though I haven’t searched that hard.

The wines were imported into the states by Rosenthal. The 1992 B. Amiot Chatelots along with a 1992 Barthod Charmes poured for me by my Rosenthal rep, Josh Raynolds, were my gateway Burgundies.

Michael, you’re lucky to have some bottles, mine are long gone. Stylistically, they were like Truchot in Chambolle, but probably with better farming…

Well I have half a bottle left, for what it’s worth, will revisit tonight or tomorrow.