#rieslingstudy and Cosmic Tex-mex Cuisine

Mexican and Riesling is one of my favorite food pairings. Yellow Rose specializes in their words Genuine Cosmic Texas cooking. I see many Chefs I know and respect eating there and I have been trying to get there but the pandemic has thrown fits into there schedule. I finally tried it a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it.

My photo does not do justice to their food so I thought I would link their feed.

We ordered several things and decided to play around with the pairings.

I chose one Kabinett, Feinherb, Dry and an outlier from California done in oak.

All paired extremely well.

2020 Ulli Stein Weihwasser - Just f#$king love this wine. A pure joy to dink and a beautiful expression of riesling. And it just reminds me of Ulli’s infectious love for life and his momentous smile!

2020 Sabelli-Frisch “Obie” Curtis Vineyard Santa Ynez - Ok straight up I HATE riesling in Oak and I mean hate it! And this wine has nothing of what I personally love about riesling which is the tension between acid and sweetness. But I love this wine and it pairs wonderfully with food and I really enjoy drinking it. Thanks Adam!

2013 Weiser-Kunstler Ellergrub Trocken - This was a little disappointing. I think the Weiser-Kunstler wines can sometimes shut down hard. This had an incredibly dominate saline streak. Like literally licking a rock with salt on.

2017 Falkenstein Euchariusberg Kabinett # 12 - beautifully open and drinking very well. To me a perfect, true Kabinett and also a great pairing with Mexican. It was open for 5 days and yet it was still vibrant and inviting.

4 Likes

Please figure out shipping to MX!

I need to work on that! It is such a great pairing.

1 Like

I love these posts. RieslingStudy is one of the few accounts I follow. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you and glad you liked it, Robert!

Just to be clear, the Curtis Vineyard Riesling is barel fermented, but in completely neutral oak. We’re talking 8th fill old oak barrels here, so they should not impart any, or extremely minimal oak influence. However, it does go through ML and as you know, barrel fermenting adds a certain creaminess and oxygen exchange note. What I think people are tasting is the oxygen exposure that barrels impart, rather than any real oak notes.

Still you’re talking oak. If you’re explaining you’re not winning. [snort.gif] I’ve yet to open my S-F Riesling. I was waiting for a sign, could take a while to locate some Tex-mex.
Did have a nice Luciades this evening. All fingers intact and no scarring.

1 Like

Curtis! Takes me back! :metal:

[drinkers.gif]

You know, Houston has a lot of Tex Mex. Just sayin’!

Houston is definitely on the short list for a rieslingstudy!

Solid Vietnamese cuisine there also