2010 Lagier Meredith Syrah Mount Veeder

I was very pleasantly surprised, almost shocked, how good and unexpectedly old world in style this was last night. Almost St Joseph or Cornas like in character although the CA fruit in the background may have given it away as CA in a blind tasting. While I’ve had a fair number of these young, this one tells me they could be 15-20 year wines and I can see this having the potential to improve still. Anyone have experience drinking these at 15-20 years? Gracias.

I oldest I have had is in the 15 year range and they have been great. Oldest are just over 20 years old now and I have seen a number of reviews that they still have plenty of life left.

1 Like

We don’t even thinking of opening one until at least 10 years of age. Always excellent.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve never had one that was OTH. I’m thinking 20 for these, and will see how my remaining ‘04s and ‘05s show over the next few years. Based on those I’ll either stick with 20 going forward or push it to 25.

1 Like

Had a 2000, I believe it was, pretty recently. Less primary than pretty much every other Lagier-Meredith I’ve ever opened but didn’t actually show a lot of development in terms of complexity or certainly any tertiary character. These are definitely built to last, but I’m unsure as to whether they’ll ever develop the way a Cote-Rotie would, for instance.

We’ll see! No rush to open the ones I have!

1 Like

I had the 2010 twice last year and agree it was excellent, with plenty of life. I can’t speak to the development at 15-20 years, but at year 10 it seemed to be in a early plateau balancing fruit with tertiary flavors in a classic style.

1 Like

There’s almost never a bad time to open these. The 2016 is stunning right now. I had a 2002 in 2020 with plenty of runway. It still had a lot of fruit. A 2001 in 2018 was looking to reach old bones if I had let it.

These won’t age like Cote Rotie, because they aren’t Cote Rotie. They come from a very small, and specific place on Mt. Veeder, and are their own being.

1 Like

Love them, just so pure and unfussy wines. For someone who likes to drink wines ion the younger side, these do seem to do better with time as they still retain that youth, just get more elegant with a little age.

1 Like

Awesome wines. They age at a glacially slow pace.

2 Likes

The 2010 is spectacular, I have one bottle left and am saving it for the right occasion. I liked the 2012 a lot as well, but would rate it one notch below. Just picked up a 2005 to see how they are doing at >15 years. Will report back when I pop it.

1 Like

Awesome wines is right. I have every vintage, going back to 98. The only vintage I think is at its peak so far is 2000.

2 Likes