New Amador Producer - Perch Wine Co - 2020 Zinfandel

Very, VERY impressive! Thanks Teagan for the great reco on Insta. And killer QPR to boot!

8 Likes

Thank you, sounds straight up my alley!

1 Like

It was really good! Young for sure, but already super impressive.

2 Likes

Damn you Rich!

2 Likes

Ha! Pretty sure you’ll dig it buddy [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Agree 100% - his Syrah is delicious too. Looking forward to future releases!

5 Likes

Berserker Day?

3 Likes

Sounds delicious! Always looking for great Zinfandels

3 Likes

That would be awesome!

2 Likes

In for some Zin. Syrah was already sold out when ordering. Glad to support his push forward.

3 Likes

Nice Mike! Give it some air and let us know what you think!

1 Like

Thanks for the note. Having gone through two bottles of this, I completely agree. It is young still, and definitely benefits from some air.
I, too, first got wind of the wine from Tegan‘s post. By pure coincidence, I happened to meet Adam at a dinner, and enjoyed talking to him about his experiences and plans for the label.
As soon as I got the release email, I jumped on it. He was nice enough to have me over to his house to pick up the wines, and I enjoyed hearing about the vineyards a bit more. Going to let the rest of the bottles chill for a while, I think.

2 Likes

That’s awesome man! Must have been a treat to hang out with Adam to learn more about the vineyards/wine! And I totally agree - the best is yet to come for this wine and I’ll hold my last bottle for a couple years or so. But its damn tasty even now with a little bit of air [cheers.gif]

3 Likes

Is Perch mail list only? I’m not looking to join new lists, but happy to try a bottle if/when I see it.

Thanks for the lead, Rich.

3 Likes

No problem!

And it looks like you can snag the zin directly from the website. $25! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

FYI, both sold out now.

2 Likes

The Perch Wine Co. website states its 2020 vintage Zinfandel came from the “Fox Creek Vineyard” in the Shenandoah Valley.

Here is what I was able to find about this old-vine planting.

Sierra Wines
“Amador County Continued…”

"…There are at least five old vine Zin vineyards still in production that are can be dated to pre-Prohibition, many own rooted and still dry farmed. They are located at the Jim Fox’s ‘Fox Creek Vineyard’, ‘Deaver Vineyards’, ‘Eschen Vineyard’, ‘Sadie Upton Vineyard’, and the ‘Grandpere Vineyard’. The ‘Grandpere’ is owned by Terri Harvey and is thought to have the oldest Zin vines in Amador County. Another vineyard of significant merit is the ‘John J. Davis Vineyard’ at the Deaver Estate. These vineyards can be dated to the late 1860’s and also include 6 acres of Mission grapes that may be the oldest remaining Mission vines in the state. The grapes from all of these vineyards are highly sought out by many Zin producers throughout California for their ability to add complexity and spice to a wine.

“The first new winery to open its doors in Amador was Montevina, founded by Cary and Vicki Gott and W.H. Field in 1973. The estate came with 60 acres of Zins that could be dated to the early 1900s and the family continued to plant Zinfandel as well as Nebbiolo and Barbera. The winery was later sold to the Sutter Home Trinchero family in 1988 and 75 acres of Zin vines went to Jim Fox, mentioned above.…”.

Over the years, “Fox Creek Vyd” has contributed fruit to Renwood (“Jack Rabbit Flat”), Binx, Fiddletown Cellars, Joel Gott, Villa Toscano, and other wineries.

Jeff Runquist Wines’ “Growers” page states:

"Sue Fox
‘The Massoni Ranch’, Amador County
Zinfandel, Barbera, Petite Sirah and Sangiovese

“In 1985 Jim and Sue Fox purchased the ‘Massoni Ranch’ from Montevina. In doing so they acquired sixty acres of old vine Zinfandel. Over the years they have diversified and now offer Sangiovese, Barbera and Petite Sirah. I am not the only winery to discover their produce and many of our neighbors also offer wines produced from fruit grown on the ‘Massoni Ranch’.”

Is “Fox Creek Vyd” also known as “Massoni Ranch”?

Add’tl Resources

Wine Berserkers
“Renwood Sold”

by Larry P
August 12, 2011

Vinography
“2001 Villa Toscano ‘Fox Creek Vineyard’ Zinfandel, Shenandoah Valley, California”

by Alder Yarrow
July, 2004

“…The grapes for this wine come from 100 year old vines in Jim and Sue Fox’s vineyard which is nestled in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. This small valley is located between the towns of Jackson and Placerville in the foothills of the Sierras east of Sacramento. These hot dry hills were originally planted with grapes by pioneers who ended their 3,000 mile journeys here, and by prospectors who came later, following the gold rush at the turn of the century…”.

2 Likes

I make the wines to be enjoyed young, for sure, but the 2020 will age gracefully. IF you can hold onto it…I know I struggle!

-A

3 Likes

Always great chatting with you Nate, thanks for the support.

-A

2 Likes

Drew, what great info! Thanks for filling in some spaces, it’s such an historic vineyard and makes such a beautful wine. Looking forward to sharing future vintages.

-A

2 Likes