TN: 2019 Frog's Leap Zinfandel (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2019 Frog’s Leap Zinfandel - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/14/2022)
    As an acid hound, this was a little bit too soft for my liking, putting to the forefront some of those slight fructose notes I sometimes get in Zin. It’s not sweet, it just has that notion of sweet fruity coolness up front before it develops. But then the development isn’t that super-exciting in the end either. It’s a decent drinking wine, like if there was a “village cooperative Zin”. I just wanted a bit more length and complex discovery, somehow. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Adam - question for you. What Zins hit your acid hound sweet spot? Thanks and btw i enjoy your perspective.

cheers

I have always considered Frog’s Leap wines to be consistent palate pleasers and well-balanced.

Then again, I suppose many Napa Valley reds - or Zinfandel wines - are not going to be for “acid lovers”…?

1 Like

Well, admittedly not Zin’s strongest feature always, it was more a general stated preference. I admit that Zin’s are not often in this category. But a few great ones come to mind that I love: Maitre de Chai’s and Fields Family Wines, Sandlands and pretty much all of the Bedrock ones are great. Had a Sky the other week that had some minor bottle variation flaws but under that could see it was a great Zin. I’ll be buying more from them.

I’m always on the hunt for a good, zippy Zin so if you have any recommends, please let me know!

1 Like

Adam - you may like Carlisle Rossi Ranch and Limerick Lane Carlisle vineyard are a couple with some acid brightness / zip, at least for my palate

1 Like

I wonder if Nalle might be to your liking.

1 Like

Nalle and Limerick Lane have long been on the list, just never got around to it. Carlisle I for some reason associate with a bigger style, not sure why. I’ll have to give those a try. Is anyone of them participating in BD13?

If you think Carlisle zins are too big, you will not like Limerick Lane. Delicous zins (in their youth), but certainly not ‘light bodied’.

I’ve had a '14 Sky too and really enjoyed this lighter style of Zinfandel (don’t always want the heavy hitters).

The Hobo Zins are usually on the lower alcohol side with a bit more acid. Not overly acidic as this is zin but more along the lines of not soft and acid deficient. Most are in the 13% range. Priced right too. But I do say usually because Kenny will occasionally make one a bit bigger. I believe the 2012 was in the 14.2% range and more lush by the Hobo standards.

1 Like

I agree with Rich.

I will also add that in general I think most Bedrocks are bigger than Carlisle at least to our family of 4 palates.

Carlisle has some zins in their lineup with high, bright acids, including Papera, Montafi and DuPratt. He lets vineyard differences speak and it depends on the vineyard.

You might check out Bucklin and see how they fit for your tastes. I really enjoyed a recent 2019 Bambino. To my tastes it checks a lot of the boxes you’re looking for. Certainly plenty of fruit but nice balancing acid. Not to mention a very friendly price tag.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say. I’m not nearly as experienced with Bedrock as Carlisle but some Carlisle’s are clearly leaning more red fruited and lighter (comparably) in body.

Once and Future zins might be in your wheelhouse if you have not tried them. Joel’s wines generally have nice acid backbones.

2 Likes

I agree on the Papera and Montafi - they always have a lift/brightness to them that I associate with higher acid. Never had a DuPratt. Carlisle is still a big wine in the larger scheme of things. Cheers!

This x100. Kenny’s Branham Vineyard Zinfandel is the wine that brought me back to Zinfandel after a long absence. The 2017 clocks in at 13.1% and I’ve already been through half a case. I think it’s a steal at $30.

https://www.hobowines.com/collections/hobo/products/2013-zinfandel-rockpile-branham-vineyard-sonoma-county

Because of the growing season, all of the Branham fruit went into a Sonoma Zinfandel which is even cheaper.

Full disclosure: I really respect Kenny and consider him a friend, but I tried his wines first and then sought him out and we became friends.

Sandler should be to your liking. Limerick Lane strikes me as the opposite of what you are looking for.

Please continue to ignore Pedroncelli ‘Mother Clone’ and Dry Creek ‘Heritage’. Pedroncelli, and to a lesser extent Dry Creek, do not seem to exist for board members.

Both producers have more expensive Zins I haven’t tried, but they might be riper and softer. OTOH, I should give them a try myself.

Dan Kravitz

A few people responded apparently believing you’ve tasted/drank Carlisle, have you?