Burgundy Lovers - A web site of most every producer, vineyard and more

I happened upon this Burgundy web site that lists most every producer, vineyard
maps and details for the Cote de Beuane
What a treasure… for Burgundy lovers of all sizes and flavors, well the focus is on on the Cote de Beaune…

So I had to list Cote de Nuits or be remiss,

For Newbies looking to learn about the region,
http://www.diwinetaste.com/dwt/en2006062.php

If any Newbies are looking to purchase Burgundy, it is very confusing
and most of the wine is over priced thin, over-extracted crap
Find some purveyor you can trust.

2 Likes

William,

Thanks. Is the first web site for all the Cote de Beaune or just Chassagne Montrachet (which is all I see)?

I am assuming this is put together by some partnership or buy in? Missing a bunch of producers, almost counter productive in that sense.

This is timely, as I am a newbie to Burgundy and looking to start my journey with the whites of Santenay and Chassagne-Montrachet. Thanks for flagging the site. I will continue to research, but would appreciate any suggestions as to producers and bottlings which are representative of the appellation. I’ll likely head to my local shop and ask for their recommendations as well, but am trying to wrap my head around things, and as you say, it is confusing.

While knowing who owns what is interesting, and the more maps the better, it isn’t hugely useful information unless it’s complemented by knowledge of farming practices. There are a lot more variables at play than those of terroir, and badly farmed parcels adjacent to vineyards that produce great wine still tend to produce bad wine. Just have a look at these Chardonnay clusters in the 2020 vintage, from contiguous parcels in the same climat:

3 Likes

Ok, so which grapes made it into which bottles [wink.gif]
That’s sensible guidance William. I’m just making good on a resolution to finally reckon with Burgundy, and while my World Atlas of Wine gives a good overview, it isn’t strong on producer recommendations. I do have an old Parker’s Buying Guide lying around somewhere, maybe it’s worth looking there.

For me the most valuable learning was tasting, traveling to Burgundy if possible - if not your local store and read and taste.
For me the absolute best source is CLIVE COATES, and I think his prime book is COTE D’Or… that covers each appellation, climat
producer, history and very readable…
I’m really enjoying the notes on W. Advocate from Wm. Kelley… and then you have to taste and write your own notes

The best thing is to move to Beaune and rent a room from William Kelley.

Second best is to taste and talk with good shop owners.

Third best is to post a new topic asking for Burgundy advice. :slight_smile: There are tons of these threads already, but they are like catnip to many Berserkers.

Good luck!

think ,site from Patrick Essa is really detailed(maps ,infos…)…