TN: 2017 Domaine Jean-Claude Bachelet et Fils Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

Based on Bill Nanson’s recent write-up about rising Burgundy prices I reckon a sub-20€ Bourgogne will be a thing of the past very soon but this bottle is just that and from a producer with some fame, no less. It is no crowd-pleaser but it is honest and extremely food-friendly. A friend commented recently that the Chassagne Rouge VV from the same vintage tasted like Pinotage - there was definitely none of that here.

• 2017 Domaine Jean-Claude Bachelet et Fils Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (14.1.2022)
    This one sports a tangy nose that takes the typical cherry fruit towards cranberry and blood orange with faint notes of herbs and wet rocks. Very autumnal style with a forest floor thing going on. On the palate it is generously fruity with little weight and tannin. Still it has plenty of bite and good drive, and quite distinct spiciness towards the tight finish. Very much savory with bright, just ripe fruit. Seems to have pretty high acidity, which makes it a good wine for the table. Reminds me of Chassagne Rouge, although a somewhat skinny one. A surprisingly serious wine at its price point, might well improve with short-term cellaring. Some might find it angular right now, but with a bite I think it is plenty enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like