Thoughts on 2017 Super Tuscans

Now that most of the 2018s have been released, I wanted to know how we feel looking back about the 2017s. I think 2017 is generally considered a poor vintage in Tuscany (and italy at large), but has anyone found any outliers? From what I’ve tried, Bolgheri may have faired better than more inland regions. The 2017 Tignanello was disappointing based on several tastings, but I really enjoyed Guado al Tasso (and bought more). The 2017s will definitely mature early relative to the 15s and 16s, but it seems like some vineyards still produced high quality fruit near the coast.

This difference makes me a little worried about my long cellar buys. I’m hoping the 2017 Solaia (which, in full disclosure, I own but have not opened) will not be a disappointment. Especially considering the 2016 is one of my all time favorite italian wines. Maybe the lower proportion of sangiovese (compared to Tig) will be its saving grace? Much more confident that my 2017 Ornellaia will stay strong. Interested in anyone’s thoughts who have already opened these.

Which 2017s have you found that exceed the general opinion of the vintage?

Cepparello is excellent

Beyond “it’s a poor vintage,” what is the vintage like? Sounds like critics are finding it overripe, coarse tannins?

I think there were quite a few “outliers” in 2017. Many of the top producers made very good wines, I’m sure, judging from some of the reviews I’ve seen. I have 2017 Siepi and Saffredi in my cellar, but have yet to taste them. However, regardless of how good they are, I can’t imagine they will be as good as 2015 and 2016.

Le Pergole Torte is also excellent but needs lots of time

Many seem overripe and lack the structure for long bottle aging (although I know there is a lot of debate about predicting this).

1 Like