Funny Video-Tricking a Master

I found this video to be quite funny. Just a couple of guys who appreciate wine (one a “master”). One trying to trick the other. The longer the video goes on, the better the discussion [rofl.gif] . Tricking a master! Will he be fooled by swapped price? - YouTube Have a watch if you have a few minutes for a wine related chuckle…

2 Likes

All of their videos are pretty fun, I enjoy watching them.
The “master” is Peter Koff and actually is a “Master of Wine”
https://www.mastersofwine.org/peter-koff-mw

At first, the old master can’t seem to admit he’s wrong…kinda like when Je Rogan gets fact-checked and can’t handle the truth. But then the old guy gets more humble the more he drinks, and by the end, he’s sold on the cheap Bordeaux.

That was fun. Thanks for posting.

Did you watch the video? The older guy was right all along.

This represents my experience with blind tasting - contrary to the dumb “studies” that occasionally come out, it is very easy to tell the difference between expensive high quality wines and cheap wines blind.

2 Likes

Yes, I watched the video. What I meant was, when the master first gets told the truth, he says its not possible. He can’t believe the one he liked best was the cheap one. Then he admits that he got duped. I thought that part was charming…when he came around to admitting he got tricked in this blind tasting.

Huh? Maybe I watched a different video. Never did he admit to being tricked. Actually the opposite. He said the card was wrong. And he was correct - the prices written on the card were wrong on purpose. However, he does acknowledge the quality of the cheaper wine.

1 Like

You clearly didn’t watch the same video. He NEVER liked the cheaper one BEST, and he certainly didn’t get ‘duped’.

Literally anyone on this board could easily distinguish a 2000 Haut Brion from a recent-vintage $10 Bordeaux in a blind tasting, so it’s not surprising this guy could. The setup is dumb but it’s a nice demonstration of how stupid these claims are that there is no quality difference in wines based on price when you taste blind.

He has a great channel. The MW does a good job evaluating quality across all styles and is clearly passionate about real, honest wine. I enjoy their videos.

Honestly the inverse would be the much more interesting tasting. If I tell you I have 1 “inexpensive” and 1 “expensive” wine and nothing else about them and one turns out to be an inexpensive-ish $20-30 - but age-able BDX - with 10-15 years of age on it and one is a new release first growth… there’s a chance that doesn’t play out quite so easy. But yes, 20 year old first growth vs $10 new release is a layup.

Ever been in a gym and watch non-basketball player type people try to shoot lay-ups? Comical.

That being said the videos/articles that purport one cannot tell pricey wine from super cheap wine are irritating in their complete wrongness. That being said as well, there are plenty of shockingly bad expensive wines.

Yeah, blind tasting can be humbling, but the 2 wines they compared were so different qualitatively that it should be easy for anyone who drinks wine. I enjoyed the video, the old master didn’t back down for a second the whole time, and he REALLY enjoyed the Haut Brion.

I accidentally did this with a Pontet Canet that was a little too young and a Chateau Haut-Gravet that was right in the drinking window. The vote was even 7-7.

I sub to this guy. Best wine channel on youtube.

Um, I did watch it. I guess I didn’t understand it? That’s a pretty aggro response just because I didn’t understand the concept. Sheesh. This board sometimes.

I liked it better when they had Patrick Farrell, the other MW, doing the tastings with them. Sad that they had a falling out.

The more recent content relies too much on sailor-mouthed Peter Koff to carry the show. It gets kind of repetitive.

Curious if they actually had a falling out? I always figured it was some type of Covid related thing. Although Pat started his own channel. Personally I love Peter’s antics - partially because he reminds me of my passed grandparents and because he has an excellent palate.

Konstantin Baum is another good watch on YouTube - I believe he may have been mentored by Peter as well.

I feel the same. I heard Patrick and especially his wife was not happy about money they were splitting from the youtube channel.
Peter does get annoying sometimes.

Yep, sorry to pile on but I think you need to watch the video again. Its literally the opposite of what you said. Give it another go and watch it all the way through.

Fun tasting/video! Not a bad blind tasting to be part of [cheers.gif]

I love their videos. Both funny and interesting.

Does anyone know why they haven’t posted recently? They used to reliably post weekly but I think it’s been over a month since their last video.