Does Sandlands have a Spring release

Does Sandlands have a spring release? I just got on their list for fall and loving the zin and table wine. Looking forward to next release…

Yep, here is the letter from the last spring release which was sent on Jan 26th.

We are very excited to share our 10th release and the first round of our 2019 vintage wines.

Every year, we express our gratitude for your support of our project, and we thank you again for your enthusiasm and support of wines we believe in from special vineyards in our beloved Golden State.

Best wishes for 2021,
Tegan, Olivia, William and Milo Passalacqua

Now onto the wines…

We are offering 8 wines, including one new wine and a return of the Sonoma Coast Trousseau noir. The new wine is our California White Table Wine, a blend of Chenin blanc and Semillon. This wine pays homage to the beautiful Cape white wines of South Africa that I am so fond of while retaining its California accent (#hellachenin). We are also happy to announce the return of our Sonoma Coast Trousseau. Our 2018 was unfortunately tainted in a winemaking mishap. Napa Valley Petite Syrah was pumped into my Trousseau tank; the wine was not ruined per se, just not a wine that I could label as Trousseau.

Allocations. We have tried to be very fair with allocations and have offered more wine to those who have purchased from us the longest. Although allocations are not guaranteed, we have set them up so that most everyone should be able to purchase all the wines they are offered.

Subsidized Shipping. We have again made the decision to subsidize the shipping charges. In the last two years, our shipping costs have been raised by over 10%. On average, we subsidize over $30.00 per shipment. We are offering a flat rate of $25.00 for ground shipping for orders up to 6 bottles and $40.00 for orders of 7-12 bottles. 13-18 bottles will be $60.00, and 19+ bottles will be $80.00. This is for shipping in the US only, of course.

2019 Lodi Chenin blanc – 5 barrels produced.
This wine hails from our own estate vineyard in the Mokelumne River AVA of Lodi, planted in silica rich, white sandy soils.
Sea salt, Bosc pear, phenolic, white pepper finish. 12.5% alc.

2019 California White Table Wine – 7 barrels produced.
63% Lodi Chenin blanc, 37% Napa Valley Semillon. This wine showcases everything I love about Mediterranean white wines.
Crystalline, white chalk, peach pit, sun baked lemon, generous, structured finish. 12.5% alc.

2019 Sonoma County Trousseau noir – 9 barrels produced.
Planted at 1400 feet, three miles from the Pacific Ocean, our section of the Bohan Vineyard sits in gravelly loam soils derived from sandstone and shale.
Rose petals, honey, orange zest, lithe, grippy and graceful finish. 12.4% alc.

2019 Lodi Cinsault – 8 barrels produced.
Planted in 1886 in the heart of western Lodi by Joseph Spenker and farmed for decades by Al Bechthold, this vineyard is now thriving under the watchful eye of the Phillips family.
Violets, pomegranate, lavender, granitic, loamy finish. 12.3% alc.

2019 Lodi Red Table Wine – 12 barrels and two 500 liter puncheons produced.
An intentional blend of three varieties and three vineyards in three equal parts, this wine is composed of Cinsault from the Bechthold Vineyard (1886), Carignane from Spenker Ranch (1900) and Zinfandel from Kirschenmann Vineyard (1915), our home ranch in Victor.
Black cherry, apricot, black tea, granular, smooth finish. 13.5% alc.

2019 Amador County Mission – 2 barrels produced.
Planted in the Shenandoah Valley of Amador County in 1854 at 1500 feet elevation in decomposed granite and quartz soils, the Deaver Ranch is a natural wonder with Mission vines that are some of the oldest in California.
Crushed granite, crisp red apple, herbs de Provence, spearmint, alpine flowers, gravel dust, grippy and granitic tannin. 13.4% alc.

2019 Contra Costa County Carignane – 5 barrels produced.
The vineyard was planted in the 1920s in what is classified as Dehli blow sand (decomposed granite that has been deposited by wind and water).
Orange zest, cranberry, dried fennel, plum, long suave tannins. 12.6% alc.

2019 Contra Costa County Mataro – 4 barrels produced.The vineyard was planted in the 1920s in what is classified as Dehli blow sand (decomposed granite that has been deposited by wind and water).
Blackberry, ocean air, salted plum, apricot, Finishes with suave, energetic tannin. 13.2% alc.
VIEW SPRING ALLOCATION
SHIPPING DATES:

We will begin shipping orders the week of March 30th. If you need an alternate date, please be sure to add it to the shipping instructions.

**A fee will be charged for any wines returned to us or for us to redirect orders.

How timely. I popped a ‘19 Red Table Wine last night. Was great!

I had one over the weekend, I think these needed a year. This bottle was great, way better than the previous two.
I favor giving Sandlands a few years as a general rule, but I know allocations are limited.

I tend to agree on the reds that they show best after at least 2-3 years after release for sure. So far the whites have shown really well about a year after release for me.

Well my ‘18s are on a pallet in an offsite facility so I’m limited. I enjoyed it.

Is the pallet pulled by a yak?

1 Like

The more I drink Sandlands, the more I realize that I enjoy them more when they are really young.

It’s the pallet of a yak!

I’ve trended that way too, and I’m usually more someone who prefers to hold wines longer.

Though I’m not sure what you mean by “really young” - I guess I mean maybe within 3-4 years of vintage or so?

I have too much of it and can’t get through it that fast anyway. I’m letting the Mataro (which I really like) sit longer, drinking Trousseau the youngest, others in between.

I opened a 2015 Mataro & a 2017 Refosco last week. The mataro was fine and the Refosco was interesting, but perhaps a bit reticent.

We are hoping to have the release January 25th. I am still trying to figure out if it will be our only release of the year.
We have 11 wines from the vintage and 7 of those wines are under 125 cases. We hope to send out a save the date next week.
Thanks for all the support.
Tegan

13 Likes

Thanks. On my radar to pop one this weekend.

Angelica???

Let’s hope!

I’m fetching a bunch of Sandlands bottles from offsite next week.
I’ll need new bottles to fill the void.
[cheers.gif]

1 Like

2019 Sandlands Trousseau - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/12/2022)
Perhaps the leanest and cleanest version yet of this wine. You can enjoy it for its precision or for the hint of rust and earthiness that have always made it special. Welcome back.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like