OMG - a 15 year old Jadot white burg that's NOT premoxed - but it's corked.

This thread asks the important question, “Can a corked wine be premoxed?”

About 10 years ago, Leo the Cuddler gave me a bottle of 2006 Louis Jadot Marsannay (Blanc) to try. I buried it in the cellar to see how it would age and opened it tonight. NO sign of oxidation whatsoever, despite Jadot’s reputation for excessive premox. However, it seemed very slightly corked. I would consider my sensitivity to TCA to be moderate, but I am sure that anyone with significant TCA sensitivity would agree. There was some flavor, and a bit of the depth that you get in white Burgs “d’un certain age,” but it got a zero on the fruit scale. This might confirm the corkiness, but I do not know Marsannay well enough to know its proper flavor profile.

Geeze man. Why do any of us spend $$$ on white burgundy? Just to have these disappointments 10 years later? Just lousy

FWIW - Had the 2010 Jadot Chevalier Montrachet Demoiselles a few weeks ago and it was glorious. No premox at all.

15 year old Marsannay? Why bother? [stirthepothal.gif]

not premoxed. just… oxed on schedule?

1 Like

Probably IMO

:joy: True true

LOL. Little to no experience with the Blancs, but 1er Cru from Bruno Clair Rouge can easily go some distance. That said, I like them at about 5 yrs.

[scratch.gif] Did you answer the question?

There is no 1er Cru red in Marsannay - unlike in Mercerey.

Peter the Chiu - President of the 2 Ms club in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.-

You’re right, I was going off memory. But the lieu-dits are great wines.

Very different wines. I love the Clair Marsannay Rouge bottlings.

Agreed…Gregg.

BUT…they are getting pricey. I stopped buying them after vintage 2012 as I still own multiple bottles from vintages 2005, 2008, 2010. I am replacing my purchase of Marsannay - with CdNuits village and/or Bourgnoge. It is sad…

1 Like

Yup, but your statement was so broad, I wanted others to know there is age worthy Marsannay. [cheers.gif]

Repeat after me:

No. The thread asks the question. My post did not answer it. Let’s look at the facts for the kids in the slow group.

1. Jadot has a reputation for a high percentage of Premoxed whites.
  2. Leo, whose wife worked for Jadot and who had a good cellar, gave me a bottle of 2006 Jadot white.
  3. Just out of curiosity, I let it sit until it was 15 years old.
  4. It had no sign of oxidation, despite the reading comprehension problems for some kids in the slow group.
  5. It appeared to be slightly corked.
  6. TCA strips out fruit esters and other flavors.
  7. There was no fruit.
  8. Many people associate premoxed whites with the same sweet fruit flavor you get in Madeira (hence the word maderization).

From these facts, we ask the question in another way, “Can TCA remove some of the negative effects of premature oxidation?”

Not that it matters, just a question I was thinking about while drinking the wine, so I thought I would pose it.

Asylum?

Well, at least you got to enjoy the “romance of pulling the cork” [wink.gif]

1 Like

Ah. OK.

I guess it never occurred to me to think TCA could be a defense against premox.

I sorely doubt it is.