TN: '15 Dancer Tete du Clos, '12 Damoy Chambertin and '96 Remy Latricieres Chambertin

A BELATED BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION - (11/1/2022)

• NV Jacques Puffeney Arbois Cuvée Sacha - France, Jura, Arbois
    Corked NR (flawed)
  • 2015 Vincent Dancer Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Tête du Clos - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Read that this was drinking well from previous notes so decided to open it and what a blockbuster it was. Was worried because I’ve read variable reviews about Dancer’s wines and on opening it was a caricature of the bad ones - reductive with gunflint, screechy high acid. An hour or so in it was absolutely glorious, it developed a creamier texture with more weight, very expressive yellow citrus fruit that was not overripe and fat in spite of the vintage, stunning finish. Someone managed to almost nail the plot on this completely blind, and another said it smelled like aged Ampeau wines which I haven’t tried. An early candidate for wine of the year and I think better than any white that I tried for the whole of last year.
  • 1996 Domaine Louis Remy Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Light and airy nose but quite meaty on the palate in terms of taste and weight, so quite clear that it was from Gevrey. Fruit wasn’t as bright as a classier grand cru or from a warm vintage so I thought it was a Charmes from 01 or 04. With air, it surprisingly got more elegant with more maraschino cherries. Rather tertiary so best to drink up.
  • 2012 Pierre Damoy Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Still very young but not entirely a crime to drink this now. A little funky and natural on the nos, the fruit quality was evident and was not masked by the high alcohol level and extraction. Always wonder how Damoy manages to make such heavy wines without being too monolithic, excellent depth of dark blue fruit. Very much a step up over the Chapelle that I tried a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Oh gosh…now I have to find this wine. Been into Vincent Dancer recently, and this sounds absolutely extraordinary

**** 2012 Pierre Damoy Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
Still very young but not entirely a crime to drink this now. A little funky and natural on the nos, the fruit quality was evident and was not masked by the high alcohol level and extraction. Always wonder how Damoy manages to make such heavy wines without being too monolithic, excellent depth of dark blue fruit. Very much a step up over the Chapelle that I tried a couple of years ago.****

Thanks for the TNs regarding Damoy.

Pierre Damoy is my much, much preferred producer, specially for wines from Gevrey.

I owned and tried his Chapelle from vintage 2010, 2011 and 2013 but sadly not 2012. The wine is no longer here in Quebec, Canada since vintage 2015.

I have the same conclusion when pairing and comparing the Chapelle against his Chambertin or CdBese from the same vintage years.

J. Morris ( page 222 Inside Burgundy Edit 2 ) reported that Pierre was saying that his Chapelle is like a Musigny in Gevrey but it does not please everybody.

Jasper also reported that Pierre harvest late - led to high-octane wine- flirting with 15 per cent alcohol level and tasted of extraction …but not out of balance. The style of his wines may not suit every palate but they do suit what Pierre want ( page 246)

Pierre’s Clos Tamisot is the best Gevrey village in my view.

Any experience with Clos Tamisot ? If so…love to hear them !!

It is extraordinary, Todd, but tough to find and unfortunately these days pretty pricey when you do so. I’ve been following Dancer for a while; mainly his Les Corbins, which is also great. But Melvin is right: the Clos is definitely a step up and by my lights at GC level–the way a good Amoreuses is.

1 Like

Dancer should be in the --what wines have gotten really expensive since you started following them–thread.

1 Like

Vicent the Dancer - that name sound is familiar - but that was long ago.

I still have a bottle of his Tete de Clos …from 2007. Hope it is still OK - as the last check of the color is still OK.

Absolutely!

Love Dancer’s wines, and yes they have gotten really expensive recently…

2 Likes

Love the Dancer wines on somebody else’s dime. The Chassagne “La Romanee” was my first exposure and remains a memorable wine. Flashy stuff.

fred

1 Like

Dancer is the bomb.

1 Like

Definitely worth it to try the top two I feel, only tried his Chassagne village before which was excellent but this was on another level.

Thanks Peter, I’ve read your posts about Damoy before andhave tried to seek out the Clos Tamisot, but the GCs are much more available unfortunately!

Thanks…I adored the level of the depth and the complexity of which Damoy Cjambertin and CdBeze could get. champagne.gif

This was pretty good!