You Spent HOW MUCH ON WINE in 2021?!?!

How much did you spend on wine in 2021?

• <$3000
  • $3001-5000
  • $5001-10000
  • $10001-20000
  • $20001-50000
  • $50001 is nothing for me
  • $$$$ (spouse left me due to wine spend)

0 voters

Also curious to hear the average bottle price and if your 2021 spending was higher or lower than the previous few years.

~11k 130ish bottles. Down from 28ish and ~380in 2020

I need to head in that directionā€¦ spending was up there but #of bottles was way higher due to all my basemanā€™s bargain hunting. I think the basement is full now

1 Like

In no particular order:
-70% of my cellar is CA and ā€˜18 & 19 were highly acclaimed vintages.
-Lack of travel & eating out during the pandemic left extra $ to spend elsewhere.
-Joined WB in Feb 2021.
-2020 & 21 were big exploration years for me.

Yeah, I spent more than usual.

1 Like

Those two statements may be connected [snort.gif]

4 Likes

My collection has been in itā€™s growth phase and the bottle count has tripled since April 2020. avg bottle price has gone up about 20%. But spending went down by 34% in 2021 and I aim for a drop by about 75% from 21-22, since I now have more than enough to drink, especially as I am to decrease consumption. Letā€™s see if I can pull it off.

2017 < 2018 < 2019 < 2020 < 2021
I joined the Cellar Inventory Reduction Plan thread on July 22nd 2021.

2022 will stop the trend. For the first time ever, I actually wrote down targets for 2022 (number of bottles and dollar amount).

3 Likes

Why isnā€™t ā€œI have no idea, and I prefer it that wayā€ an option? It also give me plausible deniability should my wife ever ask this question, which, thank god, she hasnā€™t.

11 Likes

Iā€™m in effectively the same spot as you in terms of percentages.

1 Like

With no set plan to reduce the cellar, itā€™s happened naturally. Less than 2 cases of wine bought in total in 2021, well short of even $1k. I always anticipated that I would start reducing the cellar ā€˜sometimeā€™, but after a drop in buying in 2020, 2021 has seen an even bigger drop.

I still have plenty of good cellaring wines, plus an idea of the sort of earlier drinkers Iā€™m happy to top up with.

1 Like

I bought very little and sold a bunch so on a net basis down about 325 bottles. I still have more wine than I can drink.

1 Like

Probably touched 6 figures. But boy will I be drinking some fire from here on out.

1 Like

This sounds like a good place to be. champagne.gif

1 Like

I spent 25% more in 2021 than in 2020. Average bottle is $50.70.

Where is the ā€˜basically stopped buyingā€™ option?

Far too much, my goal this year is 1/2 or less than I spent in ā€˜21.

2020 & 2021 were 50% & 80% higher than the previous several years as I believe the red burgundy affordability/ attainability/ global warming trains are all coming to a point where I wonā€™t compete or be interested in, so I re-filled what I could with '14, '15, '16 & 17 vintages. Iā€™m confident this past decades wines will be, along with the previous decade - the meat of my cellar for my lifetime. I donā€™t see my trying to buy much at all from the CdN this year or in the future and perhaps only very small amounts from some preferred CdB producers.
I also donā€™t want a cellar where the highest cost wines will only start to become mature in 20+ years when Iā€™ll be 70+. With new red burgundy purchases out, I suspect Iā€™ll still buy a fair amount from elsewhere as I chase my preferred style of wines from a suitable climate but the costs should be considerably less. I should drop one level in the poll this year and for another few years, then another level after that when I should only need defenders.

1 Like

I spent more in 2021 than any prior year. Lots of reasons for that, but one of the drivers is setting up that ā€œretirement cellarā€ that sets me up better 15 years out. Have also done a lot of backfilling and a little unicorn chasing. While pricing is up quite a bit, availability has appeared strong, I assume in light of so many strong vintages in so many regions that I buy. Gracefully, the economy was crazy strong last year.

I need to reduce the wine spending for both budget reasons (want to build a new house) and because Iā€™m out of space but donā€™t want to add more until we get the new house. Iā€™m trying to only purchase 2012 Dom (if I can get it at $175 or less), whatever Goodfellow releases on BD and in the spring and fall, and a couple of cases of Burgundy from Ansonia, mostly daily drinkers but a handful for the cellar.

Not sure if I can hold myself to this, but I wrote it down in my plans and goals for the year, which gives me at least a 10 percent shot at success.

Up significantly in 2021, primarily because of a spring trip to Napa, continued good De Negoce offers, and stocking of 2018 Napa vintage. Expecting a big cut in 2022