TNs: Mostly white Burgundies

MOSTLY WHITE BURGUNDIES - (9/1/2022)

• 2007 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart - France, Champagne
    A house profile through and through. High dosage with rather coarse and aggressive bubbles at the start, lots of brioche going on. Got a lot better with air but this wasn’t anywhere near the quality of the 2000 tried last year.
  • 2012 Domaine Pattes Loup Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Absolutely adore this producer, some wines just have that magic. Perfectly poised wine with a lovely balance between green and yellow fruit, an incredible acidity and precision to the wine.
  • 2017 Francois Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champs-Gain - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Presented itself as a classic Puligny, the only wine that I was pretty confident about. Thought it was a good producer but bad vintage, got the order wrong but the 2017 vintage really suited this producer’s style which I am usually not a fan of. Needed time to open up but an excellent showing of linear and driven citrus fruits without excess weight.
  • 2018 Louis Latour Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet
    Out of balance, a weird mix of overripe but green fruits.
  • 2010 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru La Garenne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Before Jadot switched to DIAM. On the verge of becoming premoxed with the fruit losing its freshness, heavier style of white Burg with high oak use and riper fruit that made me think Meursault.
  • 2008 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Presented itself remarkably similarly to the 03 Boillot Chevy that I had a few days ago. Almost golden in colour, it had a lovely perfumed nose with lots of weight to the wine that made me think a grand cru. At a stage where the honey is beginning to set in, not my preferred style or stage of development for white Burgundy but impressive nonetheless.
  • 1999 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    When Musar is on, it is such a singular wine. Luckily, the wine gods smiled on us as this was a spectacular bottle. The VA was restrained to give it such an elegant nose that was peppered with some earthiness. Everything in balance on the palate, glorious red fruit with very high acidity. I didn’t think it was a Musar because it didn’t evolve in the glass much, but stayed at a consistently high plateau throughout. Great stuff.

• 2007 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Smaragd Singerriedel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (8/1/2022)
    Disappointing for its pedigree. It had the concentration but the fruit lacked the power and intensity of the 2018 that I loved so much last year. Some honeyed notes, fruit was a little muddled. Surprisingly was a more balanced on the second day. A seasoned Austrian Riesling drinker mentioned that Austrian Rieslings might not be as long-lived as German ones.
  • 2014 Domaine des Roches Neuves Saumur-Champigny Les Mémoires - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (7/1/2022)
    Glossy dark fruit and impressively built, bore more resemblance to a Burgundy in a warm vintage. Well-made but lacked a little soul for me, finish was a little short.

1 Like