Who's the go to California Reviewer ?

If you are looking for well balanced Cali wines, who’s the best source ? It’s been a while since I cared.

You! Trust your own palate.

3 Likes

Lpb…

Just kidding

Maybe AG?

JG reviews CA

Honestly … this forum. Even among more modern styled wines, the ones that get lots of love here (Realm, Memento Mori, etc) are very well made wines — just unapologetically more ripe than something like Corison or Mayacamas. Also, if you want to get in on the next big thing before you can’t — Macdonald, Kinsman Eades, etc — I get the feeling Di Costanzo may be moving that direction with their latest press from AG — this forum is much better than any reviewer.

1 Like

My palate and this forum!

LBP previously drove cost the most from what I could tell.

I trust this forum or CT the most.

Define ‘balanced’ - seriously.

Cheers.

listed alc in the 13s, picked below 22 brix. ‘native’ (that’s a word for ya) yeast, thrice used oak.

If you want California wines made the way they were made in the 1970s and 1980s, John Gilman.

If your idea of balanced is 19% alcohol watered back to 16% and “balanced” with 200% new oak, ask Jay Hack for a recommendation.

5 Likes

LOLOLOL

if I had a chance to taste the wine before buying I would.

Among the big publications (WA, WS, VM), it doesn’t really make a difference across different varieties; the reviews are largely in alignment. Whether you think the wines are balanced is, of course, a different matter entirely.

of the main publications i would say AG

Come on now, that is just :nauseated_face: Hope Jay understands you are just fooling around…

no mention of Jeb ?

I always liked Stephen Tanzer but he is now retired.

I miss the big tastings with all the newer vintages. Agree some data is better than no data.

Overrated. I mean he overrates wines; look at their reviews with the same ire as James Suckling.

1 Like

i looked at who was posting and realized, yea they don’t wanna hear jeb.