TN: 2017 Occidental Pinot Noir Cuvée Catherine Running Fence Vineyard

Opened in advance of the release on Tuesday. This was just my second Occidental since joining the list. Terrific wine and will only get better.

• 2017 Occidental Pinot Noir Cuvée Catherine Running Fence Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/9/2022)
    Bright ruby in color with a super expressive nose. It’s initially a bit shy with the first few sips showing red fruit and spice. It really opens up with decanting 60 minutes or so. Great energy and deep flavors of red fruit that finish with a distinctive saline note that adds to a mouthwatering finish. It continues to open up and pick up depth and a bit of weight with time. This is outstanding now but will get better and reward cellaring. I’ll give mine a few more years before trying. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I’ve never had an Occidental wine. How would you generalize the house style? Large and lush? Or more elegant / acidic? Or something else completely?

Beautiful wines that are full of flavor but by no means lush or heavy. They’re very balanced with nice acidity but by no means lean or overly acidic. Alcs are usually around 13.5 and the 2019’s have 30% new oak. If you like Littorai, Kelley Fox or Burgundy in a warmer year you should like these. These are special sites as well and there is this distinct saline note I’ve gotten on the 2 I’ve tried so far since I joined the list. Both have been terrific.

2 Likes